Construction begins March 27, 2023
Release Date: March 16, 2023
(Green Bay) To invest in Wisconsin’s transportation system, Governor Evers signed a $17.2 million contract and a $7.1 million contract to improve 8.1 miles of WIS 172 from the Green Bay Austin Straubel International Airport entrance to I-43. The project work zone includes the Oneida Nation, and the villages of Ashwaubenon, Allouez and Bellevue in Brown County. Construction begins Monday, March 27, 2023 and expected to finish in November 2023. WIS 172 will remain open with lane closures and flagging operations. WIS 172 ramps in the project work zone may be closed while work takes place on the ramps.
Northeast Asphalt, Inc. from Greenville, Wis. is the Prime Contractor.
This is a resurfacing-level project with numerous structure and ramp improvements. Work includes:
- WIS 172 mill and overlay of roadway and ramp surfaces between I-41 and I-43
- WIS 172 joint repair and overlay between the airport and I-41
- Reconstruction of the westbound WIS 172 off-ramp to southbound I-41
- Resurfacing of Riverside Drive between the Green Bay Correctional Institution entrance and Lazarre Avenue
- Resurfacing of Webster Avenue between the ramp terminals
- Concrete repair and asphalt overlay of County GV between ramp terminals
- Curb ramp upgrades, curb repairs and concrete base patching
- Culvert repair and rehabilitation of 30 structures
- Resurfacing of the Hoffman Road Park and Ride
- Replacement of two sign structures, beam guard upgrades, and pavement markings
During construction, the roadway will be open to traffic. Construction on WIS 172 is anticipated to be completed during hours that provide the least impact to the traveling public as possible. Traffic impacts include:
- WIS 172 between I-41 and I-43: Nighttime lane closures, intermittent ramp closures, and long-term lane shifts for structure work. Consecutive ramp closures will not occur.
WIS 172 between airport entrance and I-41: Continuous lane closures, intermittent, nightly ramp and intersection closures.
- Westbound WIS 172 loop-ramp to southbound I-41 will be CLOSED for six consecutive weeks. Dates of closure TBA on project website.
- Detour: Motorists will be directed to northbound I-41 and exit at the Lombardi Avenue interchange and use the southbound I-41 on-ramp at the interchange to rejoin southbound I-41.
- Webster Avenue, County GV and Riverside Drive: Intermittent lane closures and/or nighttime full closures.
- Other side roads: Lane and flagging operations can be expected on side roads during curb ramp and paving operations.
- Half of the Hoffman Road Park and Ride will be resurfaced at a time. Half of the parking spots will be unavailable for use during resurfacing.
The existing pavement surface is deteriorating at numerous locations on the roadway, ramps, bridges, and local roads between the ramp terminals. Improvements will reduce surface roughness and provide a smoother and safer ride for motorists. Improvements will also extend the life of the pavement structure while reducing future maintenance costs. Repair and replacement of culverts/drainage structures help ensure adequate drainage to mitigate possible flooding. Upgrades to pedestrian curb ramps, new beam guard, and new pavement markings provide safer travel for motorists and pedestrians.
WIS 172 construction project website details scope, schedule and traffic impacts. Please refer to the website for the most current contractor schedule of operations and traffic impacts.
Work Zone Safety
Each year in Wisconsin, both highway workers and motorists are killed and injured in crashes that happen in highway construction zones. Motorists should slow down, be patient and pay attention to their surroundings in this and all work zones.
For more information regarding work zone rules for motorists, the law restricting hand-held devices, and general work zone safety information, please see
WisDOT's work zone safety website.
For more information
Mark Kantola, Regional Communications Manager
Mark.Kantola@dot.wi.gov, (920) 492-4153