The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is seeking public feedback on proposed improvements to WIS 153 in Marathon County. The purpose of this outreach is to obtain your input on the identified needs and proposed design details. We appreciate your input and encourage you take a moment to review the project information and provide comment.
- WIS 153 from WIS 13 to Stainless Avenue in the village of Stratford through the towns of Brighton and Eau Pleine in Marathon County
View project location in map
Purpose and Need
The purpose of the project is to address the deterioration of the existing WIS 153 roadway surface, culverts and beam guard to maintain a safe and efficient transportation system between WIS 13 and the village of Stratford.
WisDOT has created a public handout for this project. Please feel free to download, print and share with anyone who does not have access to this website. The same information on the website is in the downloadable handout.
The proposed improvements include:
- Mill/overlay of the existing pavement
- Culvert replacements at nine locations
- Culvert endwall repairs at four locations
- Beam guard replacement located at the Little Eau Pleine River Bridge
- Pavement markings
View project design display
- Real estate acquisition will begin in early 2022
- Design is on-going and will continue through the fall of 2022
- Construction is tentatively scheduled for 2023
Right of way
Right of way acquisition in the form of Temporary Limited Easements (TLEs) acquisition will be needed at the beam guard and culvert endwall locations. Right of way impacts will be determined later in the design process. A member of the real estate staff will be in contact with you in the future if your property will be affected.
- WIS 153 will be open to traffic using flagging operations for the majority of construction.
- WIS 153 will be closed and detoured for culvert endwall replacement. Access will be maintained to businesses and property owners in the work zone.
In This Together program for businesses
WisDOT recognizes businesses located in work zones have special needs. It's critical that customers have access to businesses and that they continue to visit them, regardless of any road work inconvenience. WisDOT's In This Together program is offered to business and community leaders as an idea source as they plan for road construction in their area. On the
In This Together website, businesses can find:
- Specially designed Business Coordination Guide for businesses to succeed during a highway construction project, includes information on:
- Planning ahead
- Staying informed
- Keeping customers informed
- Tips for businesses
- Case studies that demonstrate techniques that have been successfully used in communities throughout Wisconsin.
- Promotional samples showing a variety of examples of how businesses have promoted their businesses during construction.
Temporary Business Signing
Business impacted by highway closure/detour will also have the opportunity for temporary business signing during construction. More information on temporary business signing can be found on the In This Together Road Construction Guide for Businesses. Just click on the picture to go there!
Your comments assist us in developing a project that will serve the needs of the traveling public as well as the needs of the local community. To be consider for design, please provide comment by Oct. 15, 2021. Your input is welcome and appreciated throughout final design and construction. You can provide comment in the following ways:
- Fill out the comment form below and mail to WisDOT contact address via the prepaid mailer attached.
- Email comments or questions to the contact listed below
- Call the contact listed below
If you have any questions regarding the information provided please contact the individual listed below.
Kimberly Slezak, P.E., Project Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
944 Vanderperren Way
Green Bay, WI 54304-5344
Phone: (920) 492-4131