The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is seeking public feedback on proposed improvements for two structures on WIS 26 in Fond du Lac County. This website provides information regarding the proposed improvement scope, schedule and traffic impacts, describes potential real estate needs, and offers an opportunity for public comment. We appreciate your input and encourage you take a moment to review the project information and provide comment.
The proposed project takes place on two structures located on WIS 26 between the village of Rosendale and city of Oshkosh in Fond du Lac County.
- Vehicle bridge on WIS 26 over the West Branch of the Fond du Lac River about 2 miles north of WIS 23 in the village of Rosendale.
- Steel arch pipe culvert approximately 4.5 miles north of the bridge, just south of the WIS 26 intersection with County FF.
- Recent bridge inspections show deterioration of the deck and girders, and the structure is nearing the end of its service life. The bridge was built in 1931. The last rehabilitation project took place in 1988.
- The existing steel arch pipe culvert north of the bridge shows significant corrosion and distortion to the point where maintenance and repair-only methods are cost prohibitive.
WisDOT is proposing to replace both structures. Proposed work includes:
- Construct new slab span concrete bridge on current alignment with parapets
- Replace roadway approaches to the structure
- Slightly raise vertical profile to promote adequate drainage
- Widen bridge structure to meet current roadway standards
- Replace beam guard
- Replace culvert in-kind with a similar galvanized steel pipe arch pipe
- Culvert will be at the same location and with similar profile.
- Design: Fall 2021 to June 2022
- Public comment: Through November 9, 2021
- Real Estate: Spring/Fall 2022
- Final Plans: November 2022
- Construction: Summer 2023
- Construction of both structures will be let as a single project.
Proposed traffic impacts
- WIS 26 will be closed and detoured during construction.
- Access will be maintained to property owners in the work zone
- A hard closure will exist at the bridge and culver location
- Access to properties will be from the north or south of the hard closure.
- Proposed detour will utilize WIS 26 south of WIS 23 to US 151 to I-41 north to WIS 26.
In This Together program for businesses
WisDOT recognizes businesses located in work zones have special needs. It's critical that customers have access to businesses and that they continue to visit them, regardless of any road work inconvenience. WisDOT's In This Together program is offered to business and community leaders as an idea source as they plan for road construction in their area. On the In This Together website
, businesses can find:
- Specially designed Business Coordination Guide for businesses to succeed during a highway construction project, includes information on:
- Planning ahead
- Staying informed
- Keeping customers informed
- Tips for businesses
- Case studies that demonstrate techniques that have been successfully used in communities throughout Wisconsin.
- Promotional samples showing a variety of examples of how businesses have promoted their businesses during construction.
- View In This Together Quick Guide
Temporary business signing
During any short-term detours, business impacted will also have the opportunity for temporary business signing. Information regarding business signing can be found in the Business Coordination Guide
Additional right of way will be required for this project. It is estimated that 5 to 10-foot strips of permanent and/or temporary acquisition on both sides of WIS 26 near the bridge replacement will be needed. A small strip of temporary easement is also expected on the west side of WIS 26 at the culvert replacement site. A member of our real estate staff will contact you if your property is affected.
WisDOT has created a public handout for this project. Please feel free to download, print and share with anyone who does not have access to this website. The same information on the website is in the downloadable handout.
Project update/next steps
The public comment period for this project runs through November 9, 2021. Please submit comments to WisDOT using one of the following methods so that we receive them by the comment period due date and can be considered during the design process.
- Fill out the comment form attached to this document and mail to WisDOT project contact below.
- Email comments or questions to the contacts listed below.
- Call the contacts below.
Your comments assist us in developing a project that will serve the needs of the traveling public as well as the needs of the local community. Your input is welcome and appreciated.
If you have any questions regarding the information provided on this website, or if questions come up later, please contact:
Kimberly Slezak, P.E., Project Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
944 Vanderperren Way
Green Bay, WI 54304-5344
Phone: (920) 492-4131