Project location | Project overview | Schedule | Traffic impacts/detours | Status/phase | Contact information
WIS 16/La Crosse St (Oakland St to Losey Boulevard), City of La Crosse – La Crosse County
This section of WIS 16 runs west to east and is a principal arterial roadway that runs through the City of La Crosse. The project is needed because the existing roadway surface is aged and deteriorated with extensive cracking and rutting. The pavement has been patched and overlaid several times. Treatment is needed to extend the service life. There also is a high crash rate so a goal of the project is to correct the deficiencies and reduce the crash rate.
The proposed rehabilitation will help update the existing facility and utilities, increase the longevity of the roadway and the safety for the roadway users. It is proposed to have two 11 foot driving lanes and a 12 foot wide center turning lane.
- Center turn lane will allow drivers to merge out of the driving lane before making left turns
- Reducing the number of rear end crashes that occur
- On-street bike accommodations will be added
- Flashing beacon systems will be added at two locations to help pedestrians safely cross the road
- October 24, 2019 (Thursday) - Public involvement meeting (PIM) #1
- Allen Conference Room at the UW La Crosse Cleary Alumni Center
- 615 East Avenue North, La Crosse Wisconsin
- 5 p.m. - 7 p.m.
- Brief presentation will begin at 5:30 p.m., followed by an open house meeting format
- 2022 - Construction anticipated
To be determined
Craig Fisher, P.E., WisDOT Project Manager
Michael Bie, WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Southwest Region, La Crosse Office
3550 Mormon Coulee Road
La Crosse, WI 54601
Phone: (608) 785-9022
Fax: (608) 785-9969