The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is seeking public feedback on the below design proposal for construction on WIS 172 in Brown County. The purpose of this outreach is to obtain your input on the identified needs and proposed improvements along WIS 172 between I-41 and I -43 in Brown County. We appreciate your input and encourage you take a moment to review the project information and provide comment.
WIS 172 from I-41 in the village of Ashwaubenon to I-43 in the city of Green Bay, Brown County, Wis.
The purpose of the project is to improve the deteriorating pavement and drainage structures on WIS 172 to extend the roadway’s service life and upgrade other roadway deficiencies. The existing pavement is showing signs of transverse cracking and alligator cracking.
WisDOT is proposing a resurfacing-level improvement on 6.2 miles of WIS 172 in the project limits.
- Milling 2” of the existing pavement and overlaying with 3 ½” asphaltic pavement on mainline
- Milling 2 ½” of the existing pavement and overlaying with 2 ½” asphaltic pavement on all ramps and Riverside Drive between the Green Bay Correctional Institution entrance and Lazarre Avenue
- Concrete repair and replacement on County GV
- Overlaying County GV with 2 ½” asphaltic pavement
- Concrete base patching
- Culvert repairs and replacements
- Beam guard replacement
- Replacing two sign structures
- Curb ramp work
- Secondary structure work
- Pavement marking
- Project design: Winter 2020/2021
- Final Environmental Document: February 2021
- Final Plans: August 2022
- Construction currently scheduled: Spring/Summer 2023
Proposed traffic impacts
During construction, the roadway will be open to traffic. Construction on WIS 172 is anticipated to be completed mostly during the nighttime hours to provide the least impact to the traveling public as possible. Motorists can expect to encounter lane closures and flagging operations during construction operations.
Your comments are important to us to obtain input that will assist the department in the further development and refinement of a final design. We are looking to obtain any specific knowledge of your property that will assist the department in finalizing our design. WisDOT has created a public handout for the this project. Please feel free to download, print and share with anyone who does not have access to this website.
To provide comment on the project described above, please email or call any of the project contacts below, or use the below pre-paid mailer and mail to a project contact at address below.
Eric Gwidt, P.E.
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
944 Vanderperren Way
Green Bay, WI 54304