The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) continues to develop proposed improvements to WIS 54 in Outagamie County. The purpose of this handout is to provide updated information regarding the proposed project, describe the potential impacts it would have on the community, and offer an opportunity for public comment.
- Please note: The design displays below have been updated as of October 2021 to reflect new designs to the roundabouts proposed as part of the project improvements.
The project runs for approximately 7.7 miles from French Road to Seminary Road from the city of Seymour though the towns of Seymour, Osborn, and Oneida in Outagamie County.
The proposed improvements include:
- Construction of roundabouts at the intersections of WIS 54/WIS 55 (Main Street) and WIS 54/County C/Ivory Street
- Mill the existing asphalt pavement/overlay with new asphalt pavement
- Beam guard replacements
- Shoulder work - including increasing the paved shoulder width from 3 feet to 5 feet in the rural areas
- Conversion of 4-lane roadway to a 3-lane roadway that has a two way left turn lane (TWLTL) within the city of Seymour with new pavement markings
- Centerline and shoulder rumble strips will be installed in rural high speed areas
The construction exhibits below show a plan view of each segment for construction detailing the work noted above.
WisDOT has created a public handout for the this project. Please feel free to download, print and share with anyone who does not have access to this website.
- Design: Present – Summer 2024
- Real Estate Acquisition: Begin Winter/Spring 2022
- Construction: Spring 2024 – Fall 2024
Proposed traffic impacts
The intersections of WIS 54/WIS 55 and WIS 54/County C will be closed during roundabout construction. Access will be maintained to businesses and residents along the project corridor throughout construction.
- The detour will utilize WIS 47, County G, and Mainline Drive./li>
WIS 54, outside of WIS 54/WIS 55 and WIS 54/County C intersections, will be open to traffic throughout most of construction.
- Traffic control in the form of flagging operations will be used to close one lane of WIS 54, at a time, as necessary.
Right of way acquisition in the form of Permanent (FEE) and Temporary Limited Easements (TLEs) will be needed for the construction of the roundabouts to tie the proposed grading back into the existing ground. Proposed impacts are shown on the project displays included on the project website. WisDOT expects to begin real estate acquisition in Winter/Spring 2022. A member of the real estate staff will be in contact with you if your property will be affected.
In This Together program for businesses
WisDOT recognizes businesses located in work zones have special needs. It’s critical that customers have access to businesses and that they continue to visit them, regardless of any road work inconvenience. WisDOT's In This Together program is offered to business and community leaders as an idea source as they plan for road construction in their area. On the
In This Together website, businesses can find:
- Specially designed Guide for Businesses to succeed during a highway construction project, includes information on:
- Planning ahead
- Staying informed
- Keeping customers informed
- Tips for businesses
- Case studies that demonstrate techniques that have been successfully used in communities throughout Wisconsin.
- Promotional samples showing a variety of examples of how businesses have promoted their businesses during construction.
Temporary business signing during construction
During construction, temporary signing for business will be available. While signing and other marketing/advertising during the construction is up to the business, WisDOT encourages businesses to use the resources above to assist them with planning for construction before the construction begins.
Jesse Hansen, P.E.
WisDOT Project Manager
WisDOT – Northeast Region
944 Vanderperren Way
Green Bay, WI 54304-5344
WisDOT Region Communication Manager
944 Vanderperren Way
Green Bay, WI 54304
Phone: (920) 492-4153
Other planned state highway projects near this project
Please see the below project websites for information related to upcoming projects near the WIS 54 outlined on this webpage.
WIS 55 (Kaukauna – Seymour) I-41 to WIS 54
- 2022 construction
- Resurfacing project
- Includes reconstruction of WIS 55/County JJ intersection
WIS 54 (Shiocton – Seymour) Park Ave. to French Road
- 2023 construction
- Resurfacing Project
- Bridge replacement one mile east of Black Creek