Project location |
Project overview |
Public involvement |
Traffic impacts/detours |
WIS 80 (Illinois State Line to BUS 151), Hazel Green to Platteville - Grant County
Green = WIS 80 (Jackson St to BUS 151), Cuba City to Platteville
- Project ID: 5235-03-00/70
- Construction year: 2023
Blue = WIS 11 (V Hazel Green N limit to WIS 80) & WIS 80 (E Jct WIS 11 to Cuba City S limit), between Cuba City & Hazel Green
- Project IDs: 1706-06-00 and 5235-03-01/71
- Construction year: 2022
Red = WIS 80 (Illinois state line to WIS 11) & WIS 11 (V Hazel Green W limit to N limit), Hazel Green
- Project IDs: 1706-06-01/71 and 5330-02-03/73
- Construction year: 2024
Multiple projects are proposed to improve safety and pavement conditions along 15 miles of WIS 80 between Hazel Green and Platteville.
Proposed improvements include:
- Highway resurfacing
- Intersection reconfiguration at WIS 80/WIS 81/Patch Road and WIS 11/WIS 80/County W
- Structural repair of bridge over Rountree Branch and box culvert at Blockhouse Road
- Guardrail extensions and upgrades as necessary to properly shield roadside hazards
- Culvert extension at Buncombe Road to allow for proper grading
- Increased shoulder pavement width
- Installation of centerline and shoulder rumble strips
- Installation of wet reflective pavement marking
- Replacement of curb ramps to meet Americans with Disabilities (ADA) standards, where feasible
June 2021 - Virtual Public Involvement Meeting (PIM)
September 2020 - Virtual PIM
- 2022, 2023 and 2024 - Construction anticipated
The projects are anticipated to be built primarily under flagging operations. However, there may be times when traffic will have to be detoured due to the inaccessible nature of the work being performed.
On the northern project, detours will be required during structure work on the bridge over Rountree Branch near Business 151. The detour route during this work will use Business 151 and US 151 to reroute traffic. While the WIS 80 / WIS 81 roundabout is being constructed, the roundabout will be built in halves and the north-south movements through the intersection will be maintained. However, Patch Road and WIS 81 will be closed at the intersection for the duration of the roundabout construction operations. A detour route for WIS 81 utilizing US 151 and WIS 126 will be posted.
The traffic control concept for the proposed work within Hazel Green is still under development, but it is likely that a detour route will be required for this work as well.
The final traffic control and staging concepts will be refined by the design team as the project progresses.
During construction, access will be maintained for residents and businesses to the greatest extent possible. Limited exceptions to driveway access are expected during work operations immediately in front of access points; however, these times of restricted access are anticipated to be infrequent and well-communicated in advance of any access-restricting work. Specific access needs can be communicated with the design team now or with the Department’s field representatives during construction.
Derek Potter, P.E.
WisDOT Project Manager
WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Southwest Region, Madison Office
2101 Wright Street
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: (608) 246-3800
Fax: (608) 246-3843