Local government information

Applicants may apply to local governments and maintaining authorities (like a County Highway Commission) for a permit to operate IoH and Ag CMVs that exceed state statutorial​ limits. Local governments and maintaining authorities may pass resolutions or ordinances regarding the maximum gross vehicle and axle weight limits for IoH and Ag CMVs operating upon roads under their jurisdiction. (s. 348.15(9)(f)2.a., Wis. Stats.)

Local government resolutions and ordinances

Local governments have several options:

  • Pass no ordinance or resolution if the local government chooses to allow the statutor​ial weight and length limits and exemptions to Category B IoH from axle limits on roads under their jurisdiction. Permits may be issued to operate IoH and Ag CMVs that exceed statutorial limits on local roads.
  • Pass Resolutions or ordinances if the local government chooses to:
    • Opt In - Which requires all IoH (including Category B) and Ag CMVs to follow the new IoH/Ag CMV Maximum Weight Limits for both Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) and Axle Weight. Permits may be issued to operate IoH and Ag CMVs that exceed statutorial limits on local roads.
    • Total Opt Out - Have no weight or length limits for IoH and Ag CMVs operating on roads under their jurisdiction. A permit is not needed.
    • Partially Opt Out I – Set weight and length limits above those set forth in statute for IoH and Ag CMVs operating on all roads under their jurisdiction. A permit may be necessary.
    • Partially Opt Out II - Designate specific roads under their jurisdiction for over-weight/over-length IoH and Ag- CMV travel.
  • Post roads or bridges, regardless of passing an ordinance or resolution. All vehicle operators, except those with statutory exemption, are responsible for following seasonal and special postings and any postings on highway roads, bridges or culverts.

WisDOT publishes the resolutions and ordinances submitted to the Department, pursuant to s. 348.15(9)(f)2.c., Wis. Stats. Below is a list of the resolutions and ordinances that have been sent to the department to date.

  • For any municipality not listed below, it is presumed that the municipality adheres to the operating length and weight requirements as written in the statutes and may issue permits accordingly.
  • DATCP has an interactive map available to help operators determine if they need a no-fee permit.
  • Local governments may use MV2578c to issue permits to applicants. Applicants may submit this form with their application.

Adams County

Ashland County

Barron County

Bayfield County

Brown County

Burnett County

Calumet County

Chippewa County

Clark County

Columbia County

Crawford County

Dane County

Dodge County

Door County

Douglas County

Dunn County

Eau Claire County

Fond du Lac County

Grant County

Green County

Green Lake County

Iowa County

Jefferson County

Juneau County

Kewaunee County

La Crosse County

Lafayette County

Langlade County

Manitowoc County

Marathon County

Marinette County

Marquette County

Monroe County

Oconto County

Oneida County

Outagamie County

Pierce County

Polk County

Portage County

Price County

Racine County

Richland County

Rock County

Rusk County

St. Croix County

Sauk County

Sawyer County

Shawano County

Sheboygan County

Trempealeau County

Vernon County

Vilas County

Walworth County

Washburn County

Waukesha County

Waushara County

Wood County


For questions and information on IoH and Ag CMV:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Bureau of Highway Maintenance
P.O. Box 7980
Madison WI 53707-7980

Email AgVehicles@dot.wi.gov
Phone (608) 266-7320

Statutory reference: Ch. 348