New motor carrier start-up information

​The Wisconsin Department of Transportation Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) welcomes you to doing business in Wisconsin. Motor Carriers operating in Wisconsin must comply with federal and state operating requirements. We have put together the following start-up packet to help you start your business and to effectively and efficiently navigate federal and state requirements. We look forward to working with you to make your motor carrier operations a success.

Start-up Packet

The Motor Carrier Start-up Packet includes the following information to assist you:

  • International Registration Plan (IRP) – vehicle registration
  • International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) – heavy vehicle motor fuel taxes
  • Employer Identification number (EIN/FEIN)
  • Registration information for the Department of Financial Institutions (DFI) if you will operate under a corporation or limited liability company (LLC)
  • USDOT number
  • Authority – to operate for-hire
  • Heavy Vehicle Use Tax (HVUT)
  • Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)
  • Recordkeeping/Audits
  • Instructions for online access to your IRP & IFTA accounts
  • Electronic Credential Program
  • Further DMV Support


Check out the Motor Carrier playlist on WisDOT’s YouTube channel for videos to help you run your business.

Related links and forms:

Questions about the content of this page:

Motor carrier registration

International registration plan (IRP) or International fuel tax agreement (IFTA)

Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Motor Carrier Services
P.O. Box 7979
Madison WI 53707-7979

Phone (608) 266-9900