SR22 Certificate (proof of insurance/financial responsibility)

(en español​)

Under certain circumstances, you may be legally required to provide proof of insurance or financial responsibility (SR22 Certificate) to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) (344.01(2)(d) Wis. Stat.)

Check the status of your insurance filing

Proof of insurance/financial responsibility means a SR22 certificate ​has been filed. This certificate proves that you have liability insurance in the amounts of at least:

  • $25,000 for death
  • $50,000 for personal injury
  • $10,000 for property damage

​You must obtain a SR22 certificate through an insurance company licensed to do business in Wisconsin and then file it with the DMV.

In some cases, substitutions (such as a bond from an insurance company or a cash deposit of $60,000 posted with the DMV) may be accepted.

For operation of commercial vehicles, motor carrier insurance may be furnished as proof of financial responsibility.​

  • To obtain an occupational license if your license is suspended or revoked.
  • To reinstate a driver license after operating privileges or vehicle registration has been revoked.*
  • To reinstate after suspension if the suspension is a damage judgment or a suspension under the uninsured motorists/safety responsibility law."
  • For drivers under the age of 18 in lieu of having a sponsor

*Note: Insurance must be filed for three years from the date you are eligible to reinstate.

Proof of insurance is filed by providing a SR22 certificate to DMV. To obtain a SR22 certificate, contact an insurance company licensed to do business in Wisconsin.

Most insurance companies that file SR22 certificates will electronically file or mail the information to DMV. The electronically filed information is usually entered automatically on the customer's driver record within one to two working days.

If the insurance company does not, or will not, file the SR22 certificate on your behalf, you can fax or email it to the contact below. You must submit the actual SR22 certificate, we are unable to accept an insurance summary or other general proof of insurance.

When filing an SR22 owner only policy, insurance companies should fill out the certificate in the normal fashion except:

  • Check only the "Owners Policy" box
  • Write “All Owned Vehicles” in the vehicle information section

Check the status of your insurance filing

Filing insurance in lieu of sponsorship

If you are filing a SR22 certificate in lieu of sponsorship, it’s important that you tell the insurance agent you want to obtain insurance "in lieu of sponsorship" so that the agent understands the filing is not required due to a revocation or suspension of your operating privilege.

License surrender in lieu of filing

If, at any time during the three-year filing period, you wish to stop carrying SR22 proof of insurance and discontinue driving in Wisconsin, you can avoid paying the additional fees by surrendering your driver license to the DMV​ ​before ​canceling the insurance while the SR22 policy is still in effect.​


Email Wisconsin DMV email service​​​