- If you are a U.S. citizen and hold a valid driver license or ID card, you may apply for a duplicate
driver license or
ID card online. Non-U.S. citizens must appear at a DMV service center and provide proof of legal status.
- You will be asked to verify or change your residence and/or mailing address within the online application.
- The duplicate license or ID card will be
mailed to you.
At a DMV customer service center:
- Complete the application online, print and bring with your or complete at the DMV.
proof of identity Present your Social Security number. It is recommended that you bring your Social Security card with you. If you are not a U.S. citizen, present an acceptable document for
proof of legal presence status in the U.S.
Pay the fee for a duplicate driver license, instruction permit or ID card.
- Wisconsin Driver License Application form
- Wisconsin Identification Card (ID) Application form
If you are under 18 years of age and applying for a duplicate driver license or instruction permit, you must also provide:
- Sponsorship by a parent or legal guardian.
- Proof of Driver Education course completion (submitted electronically by your school) or proof of current enrollment in the behind-the-wheel portion of an approved driver education course.
Note: ID cards needed for voting purposes are free. If you are a U.S. citizen, will be at least 18 years of age by the next election, and require a Wisconsin ID card for voting purposes, check the ID for FREE box on the application.
By mail (available for a duplicate ID only):
- Complete the Wisconsin identification (ID) card application (form MV3004)
- Pay the fee. Make check or money order payable to "Registration Fee Trust" (do not send cash)
- Mail to: WisDOT - Division of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 7995
Madison, WI 53707-7995
- U.S. citizens may apply for a duplicate ID card one time by mail. Future applications will require you to visit a DMV Customer Service Center to have an updated photo taken.
- Send your application materials using overnight or priority delivery to the DMV for faster service. Overnight requests for duplicates should be directed to WisDOT - Division of Motor Vehicles, Driver Eligibility Unit, 4822 Madison Yards Way, Room 225, Madison, WI 53705
Once processed, your duplicate driver license or ID card will be sent to you by first class mail delivery to the address indicated on your application.
REAL ID and duplicate cards
If you do not currently hold a driver license or identification card that is REAL ID-compliant, you may apply when getting a duplicate but you must visit a DMV customer service center. See REAL ID for what you should to bring to DMV.