The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) and the
Wisconsin Technical College System administer traffic safety courses that enable drivers to reduce demerit points assessed against their driving privilege.
Traffic Safety School: This course reviews basic safe defensive driving concepts and may be attended by anyone.
Group Dynamics: This course is generally for drivers who have been convicted of their first offense for Operating While Intoxicated (OWI).
Multiple Offender Program: This course is generally for drivers who have been convicted of a second OWI charge.
Convictions that require successful completion of a Traffic Safety course
- Assessment agencies refer convicted drivers of an OWI who are ordered to take Group Dynamics or Multiple Offender Program to the providing school or agency in their area.
- Drivers who take a traffic safety course may elect to have their demerit points reduced by three after successful completion of the course.
- If you are already suspended for accumulating too many points, and your point total is 12, 13 or 14 points, your suspension may be released.
- Drivers may only have their points reduced once every three years.
- The student has 30 days from completion of the course to notify WisDOT of any change in his/her request for point reduction.
- Classes are held during the day, evenings and weekends in most areas in an attempt to allow students to complete the classes in a timely manner.
If you accumulate six or more demerit points within a 12-month period, you will receive a warning letter from the DMV.
Technical college locations
Call the technical college in your area using the phone number provided below for more information or view a map of all Wisconsin technical colleges including branch campuses.
Directory of WI Area Technical Colleges and their branch campuses that offer the Traffic Safety School, Group Dynamics and Multiple Offender Program.