Military skills test waiver

Transferring your military license to a Wisconsin commercial driver license (CDL)

​​​If you have a military license issued by any military facility that allows you to operate a military commercial vehicle, there is the possibility that you can use it to obtain a Wisconsin CDL. This process allows you to obtain a CDL by waiving the skills test due to your experience and training with these vehicles in the military.

  • ​You must still pass the knowledge test. Download the CDL practice test mobile app
  • You must be a Wisconsin resident to be eligible for this waiver
  • This waiver does not cover the Hazardous Materials or School Bus endorsements
  • This waiver is ONLY acceptable for one year after discharge or for active military and active duty, reserve or Wisconsin National Guard

​​In order to receive credit for your military experience in commercial vehicles, you must present the following documents at your local Wisconsin DMV Service center. You can obtain the DMV forms online or at your local DMV Service Center.

  • Wisconsin Driver License Application MV3001
  • Military Service CDL Skills Test Waiver Application MV3​588 (DMV​ can only accept the current online version of form MV3588)​
    • Complete Part 1 yourself​
      Part 2 will need to be completed by your Commanding or Training Officer
  • Present proof of current or previous military service
    • This can be your DD-214/NGB-22 military discharge papers or current military ID card
  • Commercial Driver Certification: Tier of Operation​ form MV3230​ 
    • This form is required for all new CDL applicants. It allows you to certify to the Wisconsin DMV where you intend to operate commercially and if any medical exceptions apply to your current or planned type of commercial driving.
    • The type of certification you choose will determine whether you must provide a copy of your Federal Medical Examiner Certificate (Fed Med card) to the DMV.
    • Fed Med cards are required for most types of commercial operation and can be obtained by licensed medical providers throughout the state. The Fed Med card isn’t required at the time that you apply for this CDL waiver if you are currently not driving commercially or looking for a job where a CDL is required.
  • Proof of identity, like your Wisconsin driver license
  • Proof of Citizenship or Legal Status in the U.S. Effective March 1, 2015 persons applying for a Commercial Driver License (CDL) are required to provide proof of legal status upon original (first time) issuance, renewal, transferring an out-of-state license or when adding or removing a class, endorsement or restriction.

The Biennial Budget contained a provision that requires the Department to waive the issuance, renewal or upgrading fees under s. 343.21 (1) (d) and (n) for the commercial driver license and any applicable endorsement when the applicant for a commercial driver license presents a valid military commercial driver license.

All Issuance fees are waived for customers who are:

  • Transferring their military CDL to a Wisconsin CDL
  • Renewing  their current CDL
  • Upgrading their current CDL

This is only for the issuance of the CDL not a Commercial Learner Permit (CLP). Fees may still apply if you are applying for a School Bus (S) or Hazardous Material (H) endorsement.

You must present your valid Military CDL to receive the no-fee product.

​Driver Eligibility Unit
Email Wisconsin DMV email service​
Phone (608) 264-7447