Acceptable documents for proof of identity

(en español)

Wisconsin DMV issues REAL ID compliant products (marked with a µ) in accordance with the federal Real ID Act of 2005. If you plan to fly within the U.S., visit a military base or other federal buildings, the Department of Homeland Security will require identification that is REAL ID compliant (or show another acceptable form of identification, such as a passport) beginning May 7, 2025, the new deadline for this Federal requirement. Don’t get left behind without a REAL ID.

The following is a non-exhaustive list of documents acceptable as proof of identity. Per Trans 102.15(4)(a), any original and authentic document identifying the person by name and bearing the person's signature, a reproduction of the person's signature, or a photograph of the person is acceptable.

For REAL ID compliant and non-compliant cards:

  • A valid (or expired eight years or less) photo driver license or photo identification card issued by Wisconsin or another jurisdiction, except a province of the Dominion of Canada
  • U.S. Passport or Passport Card valid or expired 5 years or less and issued at age 16 or older
    • Expired passports are NOT acceptable proof of name and date of birth or proof of citizenship or legal status in the U.S.
  • Military discharge papers (including certified copy of federal form DD-214)
  • U.S. government and military dependent identification card
  • Marriage certificate or certified copy of judgment of divorce
  • Documents permitted under proof of name and date of birth, if it bears a photograph
  • A parent or guardian having legal custody identifies person under the age of 18 and the parent or guardian shows a valid Wisconsin operator’s license or ID card
  • Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC Card), issued by the Department of Homeland Security/Transportation Security Administration
  • A valid photo ID card from any U.S. university, college, technical college or high school. The card must contain your name and photograph.
  • Unexpired temporary driving license or ID card receipt, including receipts from other jurisdictions
  • Social Security Card issued by the Social Security Administration
  • W-2 form including the customer's name, address and SSN
  • SSA - 1099 form
  • Non SSA-1099 form
  • Paystub with the applicants name and entire Social Security Number listed
  • Or provide BOTH of the requirements below:
    • An unexpired foreign passport with a valid unexpired U.S. visa affixed accompanied by the approved I-94 form documenting the applicant's most recent admittance into the United States
    • A document to demonstrate a non-work authorized status
  • A government-issued product from a federal, state, county or city agency with the applicant’s name and signature.

The department will decline to accept any document presented if it has reason to suspect its authenticity.
Questionable documents may require additional review.

EmailWisconsin DMV email service​​​