Acceptable documents for proof of Wisconsin residency

​(​en español​)

​Wisconsin DMV issues REAL ID compliant products (marked with a µ) in accordance with the federal Real ID Act of 2005. If you plan to fly within the U.S., visit a military base or other federal buildings, the Department of Homeland Security will require identification that is REAL ID compliant (or show another acceptable form of identification, such as a passport) beginning May 7, 2025, the new deadline​ for this Federal requirement. Don’t get left behind without a REAL ID.

Two (2) proofs of residency are required.

The following documents are acceptable proof of Wisconsin residency when they include your name and current Wisconsin residence street address. Documents listing a post office box or commercial receiving agency as the mailing address are not acceptable. The department will decline to accept any document presented if it does not provide conclusive proof of residency. Additional verification may be requested.

For REAL ID compliant and non-compliant cards

All documents presented for proof of Wisconsin residency must contain your name and current Wisconsin address.

Printed electronic copies are acceptable for the following documents:

  • Paycheck, stub or earning statement with your employer's name and address
  • Utility bill for water, gas, electricity or land-line telephone service. Includes cable and internet services
  • Mobile phone bill
  • ​Financial statements: bank statement for a checking, savings, money market or brokerage account; credit card statement or loan statement for auto, home or personal
  • Valid Wisconsin hunting license
  • Medical billing statement from doctor or hospital
  • Service welcome letters: includes bank, credit card, utility and others
  • Insurance documents for auto, health and life: Documents may include welcome letters, billing statements or explanation of benefits

The following documents must be originals. Printed electronic copies are not acceptable.

  • ​​Deed/title, mortgage, rental/lease agreement for Wisconsin property (lease must include your landlord's name)
  • Government-issued correspondence or product issued from a federal, state, county or city agency (original or certified copy)
    • Benefit statements and enrollment confirmation letters regarding programs such as Quest or Forward are acceptable for beneficiaries and their dependents, but the cards are not.
    • Change of address confirmation letters from USPS
    • Unexpired concealed carry license
  • Department of Corrections documentation: Letters from probation/parole agents on letterhead
  • Tribal identification card​
  • Report card, school transcript or certified school record
  • College enrollment documentation or Form 2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status, with a current Wisconsin address. Includes college acceptance letters, financial aid documentation or tuition statement​
  • A photo identification card issued by a Wisconsin accredited university, college or technical college that contains the photo and address of student
  • ​Employee photo ID card issued by current employer​​
  • Homeless shelter documentation ​-​ Documentation from a homeless shelter or social service organization providing services to homeless individuals. The letter should identify the individual, describe the location, include the address for the person to accept mail and be on letterhead signed by a social services representative.
  • Wisconsin driver license or ID card (can be expired) with your current Wisconsin address on the card
  • Parent or guardian may present their Wisconsin driver license or ID card. Address on record must match with the child’s current address on record for people under age 26.
  • Federal Bureau of Prisons inmate release ID card​

The department will decline any document presented if it has reason to suspect its authenticity. Questionable documents may require additional review.

EmailWisconsin DMV email service​​​