Wisconsin DMV issues REAL ID compliant products (marked with a µ) in accordance with the federal Real ID Act of 2005. If you plan to fly within the U.S., visit a military base or other federal buildings, the Department of Homeland Security will require identification that is REAL ID compliant (or show another acceptable form of identification, such as a passport) beginning October 1, 2021, the new deadline for this federal requirement. Don’t get left behind without a REAL ID.
When applying for a driver license or ID card you must provide proof of your Social Security Number (SSN). Your name and SSN provided will be verified with the Social Security Administration. See
Social Security Online Verification (SSOLV). A driver license or ID card will only be issued if the SSN that you have provided can be verified using SSOLV.
The following documents are acceptable proof of a Social Security Number. Documents presented must be original. Photocopies are not acceptable.
For REAL ID compliant cards
- Social Security Card issued by the Social Security Administration (SSA). You may be able to request a replacement Social Security Card online from SSA, if needed.
- W-2 form including your name, address and entire SSN listed.
- SSA-1099 form with entire SSN listed.
- Non SSA-1099 form with entire SSN listed.
- Paystub with your name and entire SSN listed.
- If not a U.S. citizen provide both:
- An unexpired foreign passport with a valid unexpired U.S. Visa affixed accompanied by the approved I-94 form documenting the applicant's most recent admittance into the United States.
- A document to demonstrate a non-work authorized status.
Additional acceptable documents for non-compliant cards
Everything from the list above: or,
- Provide your Social Security Number.
- If you are not eligible for a Social Security Number you must sign form MV3741 (SSN non-eligibility certification statement).
The department will decline to accept any document presented if it has reason to suspect its authenticity. Questionable documents may require additional review.