Any Wisconsin resident may apply for University license plates. You do not have to be an alumnus of a UW system campus to qualify for the plates. Proceeds from the annual tax-deductible University fee goes to support scholarship programs on each UW system campus.
Each of the 13 campuses has an individual logo.
Vehicles that qualify
- motor homes (annual registration only)
- motor trucks
- 4,500, 6,000 or 8,000 pounds gross weight including dual purpose farm and dual purpose motor home
- 12,000 pounds gross weight farm truck
When you request University license plates, you pay
- $20 annual donation that goes to the support scholarship programs for the UW system campus you select. The donation may be deductible if you itemize your income tax returns.
- $15 issuance fee or an annual $15 personalized plate fee, if requested
- The regular registration fee for your vehicle, if your current plates expire within three months or you have no plates
At each plate renewal, you will pay the $20 donation and the regular registration fee for non-personalized University plates.
For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.
How to apply
DMV customer service centers do not have University license plates for immediate issue, but can process applications and the plates will be mailed. Temporary plates will be issued, if needed.
To apply for University license plates by mail, please send the following items:
If the vehicle is not titled in your name, send:Make the check or money order payable to: Registration Fee Trust.Mail with payment to:
- If the vehicle you wish to register with University license plates is already titled in your name, send:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Special Plates Unit
P.O. Box 7911
Madison WI 53707-7911
Personalized license plate
Personalizing your University license plates is optional. A $15 personalized plate fee is required each year in addition to the $20 donation and regular annual registration fee. On the MV2724, check which option you would like us to follow if your request is not available. Please allow an additional 4-6 weeks for delivery.
Visit Personalized plate search to find out if your choice for a personalized license plate is available. WisDOT may refuse to issue, or may recall after issuance, a request that may be offensive to good taste or decency, misleading or conflicts with any other license plate. For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.
For more information: