COVID-19 (Coronavirus) update:
DMVs are open for all driver license and ID card customers. Driver licenses can be
renewed online for most customers. All vehicle transactions must be done
online, by mail or 3rd party agents.
- Drivers age 60 and over who received a driver license expiration extension due to COVID-19 have until May 21, 2021 to renew their license. Please make your plans to
- Most driver licenses and all
ID cards can be
- Vehicle registration renewals should be completed by mail or
online by the renewal date
- DMV Service Centers are required to limit the number of customers inside to allow for social distancing. You may be asked to wait outside. Masks are required.
Locate DMV customer service centers, check hours and wait times
Or search by:
What I should know before visiting a DMV customer service center
- If you have a disability that makes standing problematic, and there is a line upon arrival, please proceed to the front of the line and let the staff person know of your situation. You can sit until your place in line arrives at the front of the information desk.
- Not all services are available at every DMV. Please check the DMV listing to ensure the service you need is available.
- Customer service centers do not accept mailed in applications.
- The following offices have Saturday morning hours: Appleton, Eau Claire, La Crosse, Madison East (Bartillon Dr.), Milwaukee Northwest (Mill Rd.), Milwaukee Southwest (Grange Ave.) and Wausau. These offices will not be open on legal holidays, the Saturday before Memorial Day and the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
- Written exams for Class D (regular license) and Class M (motorcycle license) take about 45 minutes to complete. Please allow enough time to complete exams prior to when the DMV is scheduled to close.
- DMV customer service centers accept cash, checks, debit cards and the following credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Debit cards will be processed as credit. For
online transactions, we accept most credit and debit cards and ACH (Automated Clearing House) from your checking or savings account.
- No pets are allowed in DMV Customer Service Centers except service animals specifically trained to aid a person with a disability, which are welcome.
DMV phone contacts are handled through our phone center in Madison: (608) 264-7447
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.
Wisconsin cities with DMV customer service centers
For more information