DMV is temporarily suspending road testing (Class D automobile) due to heightened concerns regarding the health and safety of customers and staff. CDL drivers should contact their examiner to confirm.
The following satellite operations are suspended through the duration of the Safer at Home order: Wittenberg, Fort Atkinson, Reedsburg, New Richmond, Abbotsford, Minocqua, Oconomowoc. Many DMV services can be completed online at wisconsindmv.gov
Covid-19 (Coronavirus) update: While the state’s DMVs are open during scheduled hours, customers are reminded that all vehicle services can be done online and an in-person visit is not necessary.
Online services include:
If you plan to visit a Wisconsin DMV, note our staff are dedicated to maintaining a clean and safe environment for customers to complete their DMV business. To reduce your time in DMV, start the paperwork online.
Locate DMV customer service centers, check hours and wait times
Or search by:
What I should know before visiting a DMV customer service center
- If you have a disability that makes standing problematic, and there is a line upon arrival, please proceed to the front of the line and let the staff person know of your situation. You can sit until your place in line arrives at the front of the information desk.
- Not all services are available at every DMV. Please check the DMV listing to ensure the service you need is available.
- Customer service centers do not accept mailed in applications.
- The following offices have Saturday morning hours: Appleton, Eau Claire, La Crosse, Madison East (Bartillon Dr.), Milwaukee Northwest (Mill Rd.), Milwaukee Southwest (Grange Ave.) and Wausau. These offices will not be open on legal holidays, the Saturday before Memorial Day and the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
- Written exams for Class D (regular license) and Class M (motorcycle license) take about 45 minutes to complete. Please allow enough time to complete exams prior to when the DMV is scheduled to close.
- DMV customer service centers accept cash, checks, debit cards and the following credit cards: Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Debit cards will be processed as credit. For
online transactions, we accept most credit and debit cards and ACH (Automated Clearing House) from your checking or savings account.
- No pets are allowed in DMV Customer Service Centers except service animals specifically trained to aid a person with a disability, which are welcome.
DMV phone contacts are handled through our phone center in Madison: (608) 264-7447
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.
Wisconsin cities with DMV customer service centers
For more information