DMVs are open for all driver license and ID card customers. Driver licenses can be renewed online for most customers. All vehicle transactions must be done
online, by mail or 3rd party agents.
Note: We are experiencing delays with the manufacturing of personalized plates. Please allow extra time for production and mailing.
WisDOT offers personalized messages for many standard design license plates and a variety of
special plates for autos, light trucks, motorcycles and motor homes. Depending on the type of plate, personalized messages can be from one to seven letters and/or numbers.
Process for personalization
- Use the
personalized plate search to check the availability of a personalized plate message
- "Plate not available" means the message is assigned to a vehicle or determined to be misleading or offensive
- "Plate available" will be reviewed on receipt of the application
- Complete the
personalized plate application
- Use letters and/or numbers; do not use symbols, punctuation, or include spaces
- The letter O is always replaced with the number zero (0)
- Lowercase letters are not available on license plates; all letters will be issued as uppercase
- Make check or money order payable to: Registration Fee Trust
- Mail all required items to:
Special Plates Unit
P.O. Box 7911
Madison, WI 53707-7911
- WisDOT cannot guarantee that your plate choice will be available at the time your application is processed
- Plates may be refused if the message is considered misleading or offensive
- Local DMV service centers do not process the personalized plate applications
Check personalized plate availability now
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.