Note: We are experiencing delays with the manufacturing of personalized plates. Please allow extra time for production and mailing.
WisDOT offers personalized messages for many standard design license plates and a variety of
special plates for autos, light trucks, motorcycles and motor homes. Depending on the type of plate, personalized messages can be from one to seven letters and/or numbers.
Process for personalization
- Use the
personalized plate search to check the availability of a personalized plate message
- "Plate not available" means the message is assigned to a vehicle or determined to be misleading or offensive
- "Plate available" will be reviewed on receipt of the application
- Complete the
personalized plate application
- Use letters and/or numbers; do not use symbols, punctuation, or include spaces
- The letter O is always replaced with the number zero (0)
- Lowercase letters are not available on license plates; all letters will be issued as uppercase
- Make check or money order payable to: Registration Fee Trust
- Mail all required items to:
Special Plates Unit
P.O. Box 7911
Madison, WI 53707-7911
- WisDOT cannot guarantee that your plate choice will be available at the time your application is processed
- Plates may be refused if the message is considered misleading or offensive
- Local DMV service centers do not process the personalized plate applications
Click Start Now below to check personalized plate availability
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.