Release date: July 5, 2023
As early as Thursday, July 13, traffic will be switched from the southbound lanes to the northbound lanes of US 53 from Pine Grove Road in the town of Sarona to Wildcat Road in the town of Beaver Brook in Washburn County.
Originally placed in the mid-1980s, this 6.5-mile segment of US 53 has reached the end of its service life. To address this, the Wisconsin Department of Transportation project will:
- Remove the existing pavement.
- Place a new base aggregate layer for drainage and new concrete pavement.
- Replace storm sewer, culverts, curb and gutter.
- Reconstruct the approaches to US 53 from existing intersections.
- Replace shoulder rumble strips.
- Place pavement marking.
One lane each of north- and southbound traffic is operating on the southbound lanes. Once the new northbound lanes are completed, traffic will be switched to the northbound lanes, with one lane flowing in each direction.
Construction is scheduled to be completed in October.
For more information regarding traffic impacts, transportation news and improvement project updates in Wisconsin’s Northwest Region:
For more information, contact:
Christena T. O'Brien, Northwest Region Communications Manager
(715) 833-9814, (715) 828-9471, email@example.com