How to become a school bus driver:
Interactive driver licensing guide – use this helpful tool to get a checklist of requirements to help you become a school bus driver. This application will also allow you to pre-fill any required application(s) before visiting a DMV Customer Service Center and, depending of your eligibility, you may even be able to submit your application(s) electronically and schedule an appointment with the DMV for expedited service.
Requirements for school bus drivers (“S” endorsements):
School bus forms and publications:
Wisconsin Commercial Driver’s Manual – includes information about school bus operation
MV3030B - Physical Examination Report for S or P Endorsement
MV3230 - Tier of Operation form (includes information on how to select the appropriate tier level when selecting or changing tier levels)
MV3740 - School Bus Disqualifications List
BDS105 - School Bus or Alternative Vehicle info sheet
BDS362 - School Bus and Federal Medical Certificate - Frequently Asked Questions
Online services for school bus drivers:
New Opportunity to obtain a school bus license
FMCSA announced an exemption in November 2022 to boost and attract new School Bus Drivers.
This exemption is also known as the ‘under the hood’ exemption. Wisconsin DMV will honor a Partial Form Vehicle Inspection for applicants seeking to obtain an ‘S’ endorsement for the first time.
Wisconsin's ‘under the hood’ exemption applies to only to the following:
- New CDL school bus drivers who have not previously held a CDL
- Drivers who Self-Certify in Tiers 3 or 4 (Tiers 1 & 2 are NOT eligible)
- Licensed school bus drivers may use this testing option when completing Abbreviated Testing during renewal.
Drivers who use this exemption during testing will have their license restricted to the following:
- CMV Operation for School Bus Only
- K-CDL Intrastate Only
To remove the above restrictions:
- Drivers who participated in this exemption and wish to remove the above restrictions will need to complete the Full Vehicle Inspection with a licensed CDL examiner and return to DMV for an updated license.
This exemption will remain in effect from November 28, 2022 to November 27, 2024.