Closure anticipated to be in place for seven days; traffic to be detoured via County AA
Release date: September 1, 2023
Beginning Thursday, Sept. 7, WIS 54 will be closed at its intersection with US 53 east of Galesville so crews can complete concrete pavement patching on northbound US 53.
During the work, one lane of traffic in each direction will be maintained on US 53 using the southbound lane and the adjacent bypass lane, and WIS 54 traffic will be detoured to County AA.
The closure is weather dependent and anticipated to be in place for a week. It's part of a resurfacing and safety improvement project on segments of WIS 35/54, WIS 54/93 and US 53 in Trempealeau County that includes:
- Milling existing asphalt pavement and overlaying the roadway with new asphalt pavement.
- Repairing existing concrete pavement and overlaying it with new asphalt pavement.
- Installing a Through Route Activated Warning System (TRAWS) at WIS 54/93 and County T/K, where there have been crashes involving vehicles crossing or entering the state highway from the county roads.
- The system will detect vehicles approaching on County T or County K and activate flashing warning lights on WIS 54/93.
- Repairing or replacing culvert pipes under US 53 and WIS 54.
- Repairing four box culverts.
- Repairing or replacing guardrail.
- Adding centerline and shoulder rumble strips.
Construction began May 30, and the entire project is scheduled for completion in late October.
For more information regarding traffic impacts, transportation news and improvement project updates in Wisconsin’s Northwest Region:
For more information, contact:
Christena T. O'Brien, Northwest Region Communications Manager
(715) 833-9814, (715) 828-9471, firstname.lastname@example.org