Collector license plates

Collector license plate

​​ ​

Collector plates are not available or processed at DMV Customer Service Centers.

To apply for Collector license plates by mail, please send the following items:

  1. If the vehicle you want to register with Collector plates is already titled in your name in Wisconsin, send:
    • A completed and signed Collector License Plate Information and Application​ form MV2323 including the vehicle description
    • Collector plate registration fee (see below)
  2. If the vehicle is not titled in your name in Wisconsin, you must also send
    • A completed Wisconsin Title & License Plates Application form MV1, or MV11 for dealer sales, including all fees due
    • The Certificate of Title assigned to you by the seller
    • Collector plate registration fee (see below)
  3. Mail with payment to:
  4. Wisconsin Department of Transportation
    Special Plates Unit
    P.O. Box 7911
    Madison WI 53707-7911

For second and subsequent collector vehicles, allow approximately 4-6 weeks for the plate manufacturing process after you receive the new Certificate of Registration.

All motor vehicles 20 years or older that the body has not been altered from the original vehicle. Please refer to the chart below for examples of alterations; however, please keep in mind this list is not all inclusive. It will be the owner’s responsibility to properly certify if the vehicle has body alterations. Misrepresenting a vehicle’s eligibility could result in citations for improper registration.

This list in not all inclusive.

Changes made Alteration? Comments
Replacing sheet metal/repairsNoAs long as it mirrors the original body.
Flared fendersYes
Louvered hoodYesUnless owner provides evidence it was a factory available option the year the vehicle was manufactured.
Custom badging/cloningNoFor example, re-badging a base model Camaro as an SS, not an alteration to change or add badges, graphics, etc.
Ground effects kitYes*Not an alteration if factory available option offered the year the vehicle was manufactured. It is an alteration if not factory-offered (after market).
Wings/spoilers/hood scoopsYes*Not an alteration if factory available option offered the year the vehicle was manufactured. It is an alteration if not factory-offered (after market).
Lift kits/Lowering kits, wheels, tiresNoAs long as the body wasn’t altered to accommodate larger wheels for lifts, or to accommodate wheels for lowering kits.
Snowplows, trailer hitches, etc.NoAccessories such as these are not alterations unless the body of the vehicle had to be altered to accommodate them.
Truck bed conversionsYes*A 1-ton pickup or larger likely would be delivered without a box, so the bed conversion/addition would not be considered an alteration or modification.
Engine or engine partsNo
Windows/glass replacementNo
Fender or bumper replacementNo
Interior of vehicle (seats, dashboard, radio)No

*Indicates possible exceptions

All vehicles are required to meet the standards outlined in Wis. Stats. 347 Equipment of Vehicles to legally operate on Wisconsin Highways.

The following former military vehicles also qualify for Collector plates, even if they have been altered or modified:

  • GMC DUKW ("Duck") six-wheel drive utility vehicle originally manufactured for use by the U.S. military forces during World War II that is at least 25 years old
  • Humvee multipurpose wheeled vehicle originally manufactured for use by the U.S. military forces that is at least 22 years old
  • Kaiser Jeep M715 that is at least 25 years old
  • Pinzgauer all-terrain, four- or six-wheel drive vehicle that is at least 25 years old

  • The owner of a Collector vehicle must own or lease one other motor vehicle for regular transportation with current, valid registration in Wisconsin under the same name(s) as the collector vehicle. If jointly owned, each owner must own or lease a vehicle with valid registration in Wisconsin to qualify.
  • Vehicles that have alterations to the body from the original vehicle do not qualify for Collector license plates. They may be eligible for Hobbyist license plates. See the Hobbyist License Plates Information and Application form MV2388 for qualifications.
  • Collector registration fees are twice the regular annual registration fee for the type of vehicle, plus a one-time fee of $50 for the first Collector plate.
  • Collector registration does not expire for as long as you own the vehicle. However, Collector license plates are not valid to operate during the month of January.
    • To operate the vehicle in January, use the Collector or Hobbyist Vehicle Temporary License Plate Application form MV2750 to apply for temporary registration. Temporary Registration is only for a maximum of five consecutive days in January.
  • WisDOT assigns a Collector license number to the owner of the collector vehicle. If the owner registers other collector vehicles, WisDOT issues the same collector number with a letter suffix to each collector vehicle owned by the same person.
    • Example: If WisDOT issues Collector plate number 99999 to a collector vehicle owner, the owner's next collector vehicles will receive plate numbers 99999A, 99999B, etc.
  • Collector license plates cannot be personalized.
  • Except for the four former military vehicles listed above, truck type vehicles with Collector plates cannot haul materials weighing more than 500 pounds, not including the weight of a camper, lid, or cap that is mounted on the truck, the weight of a trailer or load drawn by the truck.
  • Vehicles cannot be used for commercial purposes or operated for hire.
  • Vehicles with model year 1996 and newer may be subject to a vehicle emissions test prior to issuance of Collector plates.
  • Except for motorcycles, which receive one plate, WisDOT issues two Collector license plates that must be displayed on the vehicle.
    • A person who registers a Collector motor vehicle that was manufactured before 1979 may display a historical plate from or representing the model year of the vehicle when driving to or from a car show, or during a parade, if the registration and plates issued by WisDOT are carried in or with the vehicle and are available for inspection by law enforcement upon request.
  • The owner of a vehicle with Collector license plates may register other vehicles he/she owns or leases with Collector special license plates.
    • Collector special license plates expire annually and are available for autos, trucks (registered at 8,000 pounds gross weight or less), farm trucks (registered at 12,000 pounds gross weight) and motor homes. Regular registration fee applies based on vehicle type.
  • For more information, visit personalized and special plates FAQs.

Using the fee schedule below, determine Collector registration fees. No credit is given for any current registration. If you are transferring Collector plates from a vehicle you no longer own, you must pay the same fee as when applying for a second or subsequent collector vehicle registration.

Registration fees

Vehicle type Gross weight* First Collector vehicle Second and subsequent vehicles. (Includes transfer of Collector plates to another vehicle.)
Former military vehicle

4,500 pounds

6,000 pounds

over 6,000 pounds$262$212
Motor home5,000 pounds$147$97
over 5,000 pounds$160$110
Truck tractor6,000 pounds$286$236
over 6,000 pounds$298$248

*Gross weight: To determine the approximate weight, use the weight of the vehicle, full tank of fuel and equipment normally on the vehicle including the weight of a camper, lid or cap that is mounted on the truck and the weight of any persons or pets riding within the driver's compartment.

​ ​​ ​

​For ​​more information:​

Special Plates Unit
Email Wisconsin DMV email service
Phone (608) 266-3041
Fax (608) 267-5106