Emission test

Wisconsin vehicle inspection program green logo

The Wisconsin Vehicle Inspection Program (WIVIP) at WisconsinVIP.org is administered by WisDOT and managed by contractor OPUS Inspections Inc. (OPUS).

Vehicles customarily kept in one of these seven southeastern Wisconsin counties require an emissions test: Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Sheboygan, Washington and Waukesha.

Do I need an emission test?

Find an emission testing facility (NOTE: for a full list of emission testing facilities, after submitting your zip code select the option "Display All")

NEW: Two testing-only facilities are now open!

8718 W Brown Deer Rd
Brown Deer, WI 53224

9300 S 27th St.
Oak Creek, WI 53154

Open Tuesday through Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Look up your emission test results

(en español)

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) notifies vehicle owners when an emission test is required.

A test is required for the following vehicles:

  • Vehicles with auto or light truck plates
  • Vehicle model years 1996 - 2006 with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) less than 8,501 lbs. (gasoline, Natural gas, or hybrid)
  • Vehicle model years 2007 and newer with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) up to 14,000 lbs. (diesel, gasoline, natural gas, or hybrid)

A test could be required for the following:

  • When a vehicle is purchased (within 45 days)
  • When an owner is added or removed on a vehicle title (test within 45 days)
  • Every other year before plates can be renewed
  • New residents transferring vehicle to Wisconsin (test within 45 days)

You only need to bring one of the following documents:

  • Renewal statement sent by mail or renewal notice sent from eNotify via email
  • Certificate of registration
  • The emission letter you received from the DMV
  • Prior emission inspection report
  • Substitute Renewal Notice/Non-operation Statement MV2016
  • Wisconsin title

Wisconsin accepts out-of-state emissions tests.

Counties with required testing

If the county where your vehicle is kept provides OBDII emission testing, you can have your vehicle tested out-of-state. Send a copy of the passed test results, along with your renewal payment, to the address listed below. Include the address where you want your sticker and registration mailed.

You may submit a copy of the results by:

  • Emailing a copy of the results to Wisconsin@OpusInspection.com
  • Faxing a copy of the results to (262) 641-5095
  • Mailing a copy of the results (with or without your renewal) to:
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Registration Renewals
P.O. Box 7911
Madison, WI 53707-7911

Please include your name and phone number in case we have any issues processing your results. Once we process the results, you will be able to renew your plates.

Counties without required testing

If the county where your vehicle is kept does not offer OBDII emission testing, you may request a temporary exemption for the emission test. You must still renew your plate. To request a temporary exemption, email the Wisconsin DMV, provide the state and county in which the vehicle is temporarily kept, and the date the vehicle will be back in Wisconsin and available for testing. After the temporary exemption is granted, you will be able to renew your plate.

If an emissions test is required and the vehicle is not drivable, you may submit a Temporary Exemption Application form MV2472 or email the Wisconsin DMV for a temporary exemption.

Please contact OPUS 1-866-623-8378 or the Technical Assistance webpage at Wisconsin Vehicle Inspection Program if you are unable to complete inspection requirements.


Envelope Email Wisconsin DMV email service