State trunk highway fire call claim program

Wisconsin law provides a mechanism for local governments to recover up to $500 of their costs for responding to fire calls on highways maintained by the state. This mechanism is intended to provide relief for those situations when fire services are required on the state highway right-of-way and the local government responsible for providing the service is unable to recover the costs for that service from the party receiving the service, or when the responsible party is unknown.


A town served by any type of fire department, a village served by a volunteer fire department, or a city served by a combination of paid and volunteer fire department is eligible for reimbursement for responding to calls for emergency fire services on highways under the state’s jurisdiction.

Eligible highways include all state trunk highways, US highways and the Interstate system. One exception is a connecting highway under the maintenance responsibility of a city or village.

Events which qualify for reimbursement when within the right-of-way of an eligible route include responding to:

  1. Extinguish a fire on a vehicle, structure or vegetation;
  2. Handle gasoline or other hazardous materials;
  3. Request for extrication equipment to remove or attempt to remove individuals trapped in vehicles as a result of a crash on an eligible highway.

Payments are for fire equipment responses for the above three eligible events only, not for ambulance equipment responses.

To request reimbursement

Complete the claim form (DT1725) for reimbursement of fire call costs and provide sufficient supporting documentation. The guidelines, requirements, and claim form for the State Trunk Highway Fire Call Claim program are contained in the following packet.

DT1725 State Trunk Highway Fire Call Claim

Program manager:

Kara McFerren
(608) 266-3870