WIS 21, Madison Street to WIS 22, Waushara County
WisDOT identified several needs along this 13-mile segment of WIS 21:
- The pavement is experiencing extensive block cracking and a significant amount of rutting and has reached its useful lifespan
- Sight distance restrictions exist at the WIS 21 and County B intersection due to the hill directly west of the intersection
- Run off the road crashes have occurred within the project limits
- The guardrail has reached its useful life and needs replacement
- Four culverts require replacement
WisDOT plans to replace the pavement with new asphalt with the following process:
- Pulverize and relay – uses the old pavement for the base prior to applying new asphalt
Other improvements to address the needs include:
- County B intersection improvements
- Reconstruct WIS 21; lowering the hill approximately 13' to improve sight distance
- Realign the south leg of County B to match into the north leg
- Spot slope grading to flatten steep slopes
- New guardrail
- Centerline rumble strips
- Pavement safety edge
- Culvert replacements at four locations
- Widening of paved shoulders for bicycle accommodations from three feet to five feet
- Madison St. to 6th Avenue
- Oakdale Court to WIS 22
The proposed improvements will provide a smoother ride, improve safety and maintain drainage.
Traffic impacts during construction
- WIS 21 will be closed and detoured for approximately three months in summer of 2021.
- Detour will be I-39 to WIS 73 to WIS 22 (see detour map)
- WIS 21 will be open to local traffic with spot closures at culvert replacement and hill grading locations
- Strip acquisitions will be needed for work at the County B intersection as well as the spot slope grading locations.
- WisDOT expects to begin real estate acquisition in summer of 2020.
- Finalize design – November 2020
- Construction is currently scheduled for 2022, but could occur as early as 2021.