This section of I-41 is experiencing pavement deterioration and decreased ride quality due to the age of the infrastructure. Proposed improvements are to rehabilitate the roadway and improve structures along I-41, as well as noise wall improvements.
Project improvements include a mill and overlay of the existing pavement on I-41 from Burleigh Street to Silver Spring Drive, various ramp overlays, and the replacement of the noise wall at the Hampton Avenue southbound entrance ramp. Additionally, the installation of a new noise wall along the east side of I-41 south of Silver Spring Drive.
Improvements to both segments include:
- Lighting and signing improvements
- Drainage improvements near Capitol Drive southbound entrance ramp
- Beam guard replacement
- Signal upgrades
- The addition of an auxiliary lane in the northbound and southbound directions between Burleigh Street and Capitol Drive and addition of an auxiliary lane in the southbound direction from Hampton Avenue to Capitol Drive
Structure improvements from Burleigh Street to Capitol Drive:
- Bridge overlay and painting for the I-41 structures over Burleigh Street
- Bridge overlay and widening for the I-41 structures over UPRR
- Bridge overlay for the I-41 structures over Capitol Drive
- Replacement of sign structure on I-41 north of Burleigh Street
- Replacement of sign structure with DMS sign on I-41 southbound north of Burleigh Street
Structure improvements from Capitol Drive to Silver Spring Drive:
- Bridge overlay for the I-41 structures over the Menomonee River
- Bridge overlay and painting for the I-41 structures over Silver Spring Drive
- Replacement of noise wall near the I-41 southbound entrance ramp from Hampton Avenue
- Miscellaneous culvert repairs
- Replacement of the sign structure on I-41 south of Hampton Avenue
- Replacement of the sign structure on I-41 south of Silver Spring Drive
Structure girder repair on Hampton Avenue bridge over I-41:
- Repair damaged girders in 2023
- Traffic impacts will be overnight lane closures on I-41 and overnight closures of Hampton Avenue
Structure Improvements at Capitol Drive:
- Rehabilitate the middle level bridges in 2024
- Bridge painting for the I-41 structures over Capitol Drive
- Bridge overlay and railing replacement of the bridges in the middle level of the Capitol Drive interchange
- Traffic impacts will include long-term ramp closures for bridge overlay work and overnight lane closures for bridge painting
Public Involvement Meeting #2 - Noise Barrier Process
WisDOT hosted a public involvement meeting on July 19, 2022, at Parkview Elementary School in Milwaukee to share information about the noise barrier process.
Public Involvement Meeting #1
WisDOT hosted a public involvement meeting on November 4, 2021, at Whitman Middle School in Wauwatosa to discuss the proposed improvements. Materials and exhibits shared at the meeting are posted below to help give more opportunity for public feedback. (Please note *large drawing files* may take a moment to download.)
Construction from Burleigh Street to Capitol Drive is currently scheduled for 2025. Construction along the northern segment, Capitol Drive to Silver Spring Drive, is scheduled for 2025, but could be advanced to 2024 pending funding.
Long-term lane closures and overnight lane closures along I-41 are anticipated during both projects. During the long-term lane closures, traffic will be reduced from three lanes down to two. Traffic will be reduced from three lanes down to one lane only during overnight hours. Ramp closures will take place as needed. However, consecutive on and off-ramp closures will be avoided when possible.
Design phase -
Do you have any comments or questions? We'd like to hear from you! Please feel free to contact the project representatives below.
Clayton Smith, P.E., Project Manager
Dan Sellers, WisDOT Communications