The WisDOT Bureau of Transportation Safety is tasked with working with partners both internal and external to reduce the number of preventable traffic fatalities and injuries in Wisconsin. The Bureau creates and prepares reports and has documents available to the public and their partners regarding their mission.
Highway Safety Plan
The Bureau of Transportation Safety prepares a report each year of the programs, grants and activities planned for the next federal fiscal year and submits the plan to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. The plan also is the state's application for federal safety funds.
Highway Safety Program Annual Report
The Bureau of Transportation Safety prepares the Highway Safety Program Annual Report each year for the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. The report details the grants, activities and programs the Bureau managed and presented in the Highway Safety Plan during the federal fiscal year as part of the mission to improve traffic safety in Wisconsin.
Wisconsin's Strategic Highway Safety Plan
Wisconsin's Strategic Highway Safety Plan is a statewide comprehensive plan that provides a synchronized framework for reducing traffic fatalities, injuries and crashes over a three year period. The plan examines various issue areas that affect highway safety in Wisconsin.
Traffic Safety Commissions
Each county must host quarterly Traffic Safety Commissions (TSC). The TSCs meet to discuss the fatal/injury crashes and traffic safety issues in their county. The TSCs come together to focus on the four E's of traffic safety: Enforcement, Education, Engineering, and Emergency Medical Services. The TSCs are made up of the following members:
- The County Highway Commissioner or a designated representative.
- The Chief County Law Enforcement Officer or a designated representative
- The County Highway Safety Coordinator, designated by the County Board.
- An Education Representative designated by the County Board.
- A Medical Representative designated by the County Board (e.g., doctor, nurse, hospital administrator, paramedic, etc.).
- A Legal Representative designated by the County Board.
- A Division of State Patrol Representative designated by Wisconsin Department of Transportation. (WisDOT) .
- A Highway Engineering Representative designated by WisDOT .
- A Traffic Safety Representative designated by WisDOT (Bureau of Transportation Safety, Regional Program Manager).
Traffic Safety Commission Information Packet