Proposed work overlays the existing concrete pavement on southbound lanes with new asphalt
Release date: Aug. 10, 2023
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is holding a virtual public involvement meeting to obtain comments on a proposed pavement resurfacing project in Douglas County on southbound US 53 from County Y north to County M in the town of Gordon.
Go to the project
website to review materials. Comments are being accepted through Sept. 1, 2023, by:
Mail: Wisconsin Department of Transportation
1701 N. 4th St.
Superior, WI 54880
Attn.: Philip Keppers, P.E.
The existing concrete pavement is showing signs of deterioration. To address this and other issues, WisDOT is proposing to:
- Make concrete pavement repairs including at the St. Croix River Bridge approach.
- Overlay the existing concrete pavement with asphalt.
- Clear roadside brush and trees.
- Replace guardrail that does not meet current crash standards.
- Repair and replace deteriorated culverts.
- Place new pavement markings.
Construction currently is scheduled to be completed as early as in 2025. During construction, US 53 will remain open to traffic, but motorists can expect single-lane and shoulder closures.
For more information regarding traffic impacts, transportation news and improvement project updates in Wisconsin’s Northwest Region:
For more information, contact:
Christena T. O'Brien, Northwest Region Communications Manager
(715) 833-9814, (715) 828-9471, email@example.com