Work includes repairing concrete panels, completing culvert work and rest area repairs
Release date: August 23, 2023
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is seeking public comments on a proposed improvement project in Douglas County on US 2/53 from 53rd Avenue East in the city of Superior to just west of County C in the town of Amnicon.
Visit the project website to view materials, and provide comments by September 30, 2023, by:
Mail: Wisconsin Department of Transportation
1701 N. 4th St.
Superior, WI 54880
Attn.: Stephanie King
The pavement on this segment of US 2/53 and at Rest Area 23 is showing signs of deterioration. To address this and other issues, WisDOT is proposing the following:
On US 2/53:
- Making concrete pavement joint repairs and replacing concrete pavement panels.
- Milling the existing asphalt shoulders and overlaying the shoulders with new asphalt.
- Milling and overlaying side road connections and WIS 13 ramps.
- Installing shoulder rumble strips and completing gravel shouldering.
- Cleaning, repairing, lining or replacing culvert pipes.
- Resetting culvert pipe apron end walls and culvert sections.
- Repairing roadway slopes or embankments that have been eroded.
- Resealing construction joints on the concrete box culvert structure at Bear Creek and replacing the wing walls on south side of US 2/53.
- Replacing the large signs on US 2/53.
- Replacing right-of-way fencing along entire project.
- Potentially adjusting guardrail.
At Rest Area 23:
- Replacing existing exterior facility lighting.
- Upgrading and modernizing pedestrian curb ramps.
- Replacing select panels of sidewalk.
- Completing joints and crack cleaning on existing concrete pavement access and egress to the facility as well as perimeter parking lot.
- Repairing existing concrete pavement or replacing concrete panels as necessary.
- Repairing curb and gutter in spot locations.
- Overlaying existing concrete pavement with asphalt at entrance and exit to the rest area as well as perimeter parking lot.
Construction is currently scheduled for 2028 but could occur in 2026 or 2027 if funding becomes available.
During construction, US 2/53 will remain open to traffic, but motorists might be limited to one lane in each direction. Rest Area 23 repairs might require closure of the facility.
For more information regarding traffic impacts, transportation news and improvement project updates in Wisconsin’s Northwest Region:
For more information, contact:
Christena T. O'Brien, Northwest Region Communications Manager
(715) 833-9814, (715) 828-9471, email@example.com