Change of address

​(en español)

Class D or M driver license or identification (ID) card

You should notify WisDOT of your change of address within 10 days of your move. Getting a new driver license or ID issued with your updated address is not required as long as your current address is recorded on your DMV record.

​If you hold a Wisconsin ID or regular driver license, you may change your Wisconsin residence and/or mailing address by doing one of the following:

  • Change your address online

  • Call (608) 264-7447 and request that your driver record address be changed.

  • Mail your change of address to:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Division of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 7917
Madison, WI 53707-7917

  • Because of privacy concerns, DMV does not recommend emailing your change of address. However, if you wish, you can email the information to the Bureau of Driver Services.

Include your ID or driver license number.

When you change your address, you will not receive a new driver license or ID card. If you would like to apply for a replacement, you may do so online or at DMV customer service center.

​Commercial driver license (CDL)​

If you hold a CDL, you may be eligible to update your address and apply for a replacement license online. If you are not eligible to apply online, you must visit a DMV customer service center to update your address and apply for a replacement within 10 days. You will need to show proof of identity and pay the required fee.

​Vehicle record

When you move, file a change of address with your post office. Your license plate renewal notice will be mailed to your most recent address on file with the United States Postal Service​.

​Six times per year, WisDOT obtains updated addresses from the U.S. Postal Service database. If the name and address on our registration database matches the name and "old" address on the Postal Service database, we update our vehicle records with the "new" address.​​

EmailWisconsin DMV email service​​​