Location and limits
Project ID 6430-20-00 is located at the intersection of WIS 76/School Road, 0.8 miles south of WIS 15. Construction is currently scheduled for 2024. The intersection is currently a two-way stop control intersection with two-lane rural roads on all four legs of the intersection. A multi-use trail crosses the west leg of School Road and runs south within the right-of-way (ROW) on the west side of the south leg of WIS 76.
Purpose and need
The purpose of the project is to address safety and level of service issues at the WIS 76 and School Road intersection. The project has been approved for a Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) grant from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).
The proposed improvements include:
- Installation of a single lane roundabout
- Single lane entries on east, west and south leg
- North leg entry will consist of a combination through/left lane and a right turn lane.
- New pavement structure
- Culvert/storm sewer replacement
- Curb and Gutter
- Signing and pavement marking
- Pedestrian accommodations at the intersection
- Sidewalk on School Road east of WIS 76
A virtual public involvement meeting was held in September 2020.
- Alternative roundabout design selected based on public input in winter 2020/2021
- Real estate acquisition is anticipated to begin in spring 2022
- Design is on-going and will continue through summer 2023
- Construction is tentatively scheduled for 2024
Right of way needs
Right-of-way acquisition in the form of Temporary Limited Easements (TLEs) and permanent acquisition (FEE) for various locations along the intersection are expected for grading and drainage at the intersection. Some FEE purchase will be required from trail right-of-way along the west leg of School Road in order to realign the trail to better match into the proposed project.
It is anticipated the roadway will be closed to through traffic and a detour route will be posted. The detour is currently expected to follow WIS 96, County CB, and WIS 15. Local access to property owners and businesses within project limits will be maintained throughout the project. Access to the town of Greenville trail will be maintained throughout construction.
In This Together program for businesses
WisDOT recognizes businesses located in work zones have special needs. It's critical that customers have access to businesses and that they continue to visit them, regardless of any road work inconvenience. WisDOT's In This Together program is offered to business and community leaders as an idea source as they plan for road construction in their area. On the In This Together website, businesses can find:
- Specially designed
Business Coordination Guide for businesses to succeed during a highway construction project, includes information on:
- Planning ahead
- Staying informed
- Keeping customers informed
- Tips for businesses
- Case studies that demonstrate techniques that have been successfully used in communities throughout Wisconsin.
- Promotional samples showing a variety of examples of how businesses have promoted their businesses during construction.
During construction, temporary signing for business will be available. While signing and other marketing/advertising during the construction is up to the business, WisDOT encourages businesses to use the resources above to assist them with planning for construction before the construction begins.
If you have any questions regarding the information the WIS 76/School Road intersection project, or if questions come up at a later time, please contact one of the individuals listed below.
Jesse Hansen, P.E.
Phone: (920) 360-6095
Regional Communications Manager
Phone: (920) 492-4153
Town of Greenville School Road Projects
The town of Greenville is planning two separate projects on School Road. The first project scheduled for construction in 2022 is west of WIS 76, and the second project scheduled for construction in 2023 is east of WIS 76.
Town of Greenville contact:
Brian Rickert, Director of Public Works
W6895-B Parkview Drive
Greenville, WI 54942