The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) is proposing to improve the intersection of WIS 11 and County J east of the City of Burlington in Racine County.
Proposed Project Details:
The proposed improvement project will reconstruct the existing two-way stop intersection to a single lane roundabout in its current location. Improvements include the following:
- Reconstruct approximately 500 to 700 feet along all legs of the intersection
- Raise the intersection and replace the existing structures to improve drainage
- Add side paths and ramps in all four quadrants of the intersection along with curb ramps in the islands to accommodate bicycle traffic
- Add lighting, signing, and pavement markings
- Modify access points with a median opening provided on the north leg of County J
- Removal of the guardrail in the northwest quadrant of the intersection
WIS 11 and County J will be closed for approximately 90 days to allow for construction of the roundabout with a signed detour being provided for WIS 11. (Detour information listed below) Access will be maintained to local businesses and property owners.
2023: Final Plan Completion
2024: Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in May and end in the late summer
Public Involvement Meeting:
WisDOT hosted a public involvement meeting on Tuesday, October 10th at the City of Burlington City Works Building located at 2200 S. Pine Street. Below are the materials provided at the meeting:
Nguyen Ly, P.E.
Project Manager WisDOT Southeast Region
Kevin Kuhlow, P.E.
Consultant Project Manager Ayres Associates
WisDOT Southeast Region Communications Manager