The Reimagining WIS 175 Study has begun! The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT), along with study partners Milwaukee County and the City of Milwaukee, are collaboratively working on a study for WIS 175 between Wisconsin Avenue and Lisbon Avenue.
WIS 175 Corridor
This is our opportunity to re-think WIS 175, also known as the Stadium Freeway or the Stadium Spur. This 6-lane urban freeway was constructed in 1962 and impacted Washington Park and other properties. This section of WIS 175 was part of a larger freeway network that was never built. Now, the resulting depressed freeway with grade separated interchanges creates a disconnect between neighborhoods with a lack of pedestrian, bike, and bus access.
The Reimagining WIS 175 Study will take a comprehensive, holistic approach to evaluate potential, viable alternatives for the future WIS 175 corridor in a way that accommodates vehicles, transit, bicycle and pedestrian connections; connects neighborhoods, and promotes socio-economic vitality.
Scope of Study
- Partner with community stakeholders to identify the status of the existing roadway infrastructure and identify opportunities for potential future improvements.
- Analyze a variety of alternatives ranging from replacing the freeway to an at-grade street considering green spaces, parks, land use and future development.
- Involve the community with robust public engagement.
- Identify viable alternatives that meet the traffic and community needs with a focus on reconnecting communities.
The first public involvement meeting was held May 11, 2023, from 4-7pm at the Washington Park Senior Center. At the meeting, the public had the opportunity to
learn more about the study while sharing comments on the existing conditions of the area and helping to identify community priorities for improving WIS 175. This meeting was the first of several public involvement meetings.
The second public involvement meeting will be held:
- April 30, 2024, from 4-7 p.m.
- at Washington Park Senior Center (4420 W Vliet Street, Milwaukee, WI 53208)
Connect on Social Pinpoint
The Reimagining WIS 175 Study is using
Social Pinpoint to collect and evaluate the opinions of the community regarding the study. Social Pinpoint offers diverse participation opportunities to engage with the study, such as an interactive map, surveys, FAQs, and other activities.
Status and Schedule
A preliminary survey and stakeholder conversations have begun to get initial opinions about how to foster effective engagement and to get initial thoughts on the opportunities along this corridor. The study is planned to be complete by the end of 2024.
More information coming soon! If you have any comments or questions, please contact the project representatives below.
Doug Cain, WisDOT Project Manager
Dan Sellers, WisDOT Communications Manager