This project takes place on I-41 at the WIS 175 Interchange in Milwaukee County. Proposed work consists of replacing the I-41 northbound and southbound structures over Mill Road.
Additional work includes the following:
- Construction of crossover to accommodate traffic year prior to structure replacements.
- Reconstructing the inside median barrier and inside shoulders (approximately 600’ north and south of Mill Road structures).
- Rehabilitating I-41 to the upstream and downstream structures (approximately 600’ north and south of Mill Road structures). The I-41 roadway rehabilitation mainly includes base patching, mill/overlay, minor beamguard improvements, and shoulder widening south of the northbound structure.
- Reconstruction of Mill Road (approximately 150’ east and west of the Mill Road structures). There will also be regrading of ditches and shaping shoulders associated with the work on Mill Road.
- Minor drainage improvements, including replacement and possible addition of inlets near the structures.
The proposed traffic control is preliminary and subject to change. During construction, five lanes of traffic will be maintained (three lanes northbound and two lanes southbound). Traffic entering the Good Hope Road southbound entrance ramp will be forced to continue through the WIS 175 ramps and will re-enter the freeway south of the work zone. Mill Road will be closed during the duration of the structure work. The WIS 175 southbound through movement will also be closed. Occasional short-term ramp closures may be needed upstream and downstream to accommodate traffic staging. Consecutive ramps along the corridor will not be closed at the same time.
Construction is currently scheduled for 2026/2027, but could be constructed earlier.
Preparatory roadway work will take place in 2026 and involves shoulder repairs and widening. A temporary crossover will also be constructed in 2026. In 2027, the northbound and southbound structures will be reconstructed. Following the completion of the structures, I-41 mainline will be resurfaced and the inside shoulders and median barrier will be reconstructed.
Design phase -
Do you have any comments or questions? We'd like to hear from you! Please feel free to contact the project representatives below.
Jim Schumacher, P.E., Project Manager
Dan Sellers, WisDOT Communications