Project location |
Project overview |
Environmental Documentation |
I-39/90/94 Bridge over Wisconsin River - Columbia County
The I-39/90/94 bridges over the Wisconsin River were constructed in 1961 and are nearing the end of their operational life and need to be replaced. An Environmental Assessment was completed with a Finding Of No Significant Impacts (FONSI) in June 2021. WisDOT has reached the final design phase of the project and proposed improvements include:
- Replacing the existing I-39/90/94 Wisconsin River bridges. One new bridge will be located to the east of the existing bridges and the other will be located at approximately the same location as the existing bridges.
- Reconstructing approximately 1.4 miles of the eastbound interstate and 1.8 miles of the westbound interstate to accommodate the new Wisconsin River bridge locations.
- Replacing the County U and County V bridges over I-39/90/94 to accommodate the alignment shift and widening being completed on the interstate below.
- Reconstructing approximately 0.4 miles of County U, which will include shifting the alignment to the north to improve roadway geometrics.
- Reconstructing approximately 0.5 miles of County V, which will include shifting the alignment to the south slightly. The alignment shift is being done to allow County V to remain open to a single lane of traffic during the reconstruction timeframe.
- October 2022 to June 2023 - Soil borings within Wisconsin River for new bridges
- January thru November 2023 - Right of way acquisition
- November 2023 - Final design completed
- 2024 thru 2027 - Construction anticipated
Past public involvement
- October 27, 2022 - Public involvement Meeting (Poynette Village Hall)
- March 30-31, 2021 - Public hearing
November 12, 2022 to April 7, 2021 - Environmental Assessment available for public comment
September 12, 2019 - Public Involvement Meeting (PIM)
April 18, 2019 - Public Involvement Meeting (PIM)
- September 2018 - Project notification letter mailed to landowners
The approved Environmental Assessment (EA) can be found below: please note, the following documents are very large and may take several minutes to download:
Frank J. Pritzlaff, P.E.
WisDOT Project Manager
WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Southwest Region, Madison Office
2101 Wright Street
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: (608) 246-3800
Fax: (608) 246-3843