Note - Items listed as 'Date - Project type, Activities' from oldest to newest.
1944 - Legislative, State Highway Commission approves concept of Beltline around Madison.
1949 - Construction, Construction begins on south Beltline and east Beltline (Stoughton Road).
1951 - Construction, Park Street crossing converted to an interchange.
1952 - Construction, John Nolen crossing converted to an interchange.
- Construction, Beltline expanded to four lanes from Park Street west.
- Construction, US 51 crossing converted to an interchange.
1957-58 - Construction, Nakoma Road (Verona Road) interchange opened.
1960 - Construction, Fish Hatchery Road crossing converted to an interchange.
1962 - Construction, Rimrock Road crossing converted to a partial interchange.
1968 - Planning, WisDOT unveils 10-year plan to upgrade Beltline to six lane freeway.
1969-1971 - Construction, Beltline expanded to four lanes north of Mineral Point Road to east of Verona Road.
- Construction, Beltline expanded to six lanes east of Verona Road to east of Fish Hatchery Road.
- Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) and Record of Decision (ROD)
- Approval for six lane South Beltline from South Towne Drive (Broadway).
1976 - Legislative, Referendum stops south Beltline project due to wetland concerns with Mud Lake.
1979 - Construction, Verona Road interchange expanded.
1981 - Planning, National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) process restarted for south Beltline from South Towne Drive to I-90.
1984 - Planning
- FEIS and ROD
- Approval for south Beltline from South Towne Drive to I-90.
1987-1989 - Construction, Beltline expanded to four lanes west of Todd Drive to I-39/90.
1988-1989 - Construction, Beltline expanded to four lanes from highway 14 to north of Mineral Point Road.
1989 - Construction, South Beltline from South Towne Drive to I-90 constructed.
1992-1993 - Construction, US 12/18 expanded to four lanes east of I-39/90 to east of County N.
- Planning, Needs Assessment (NA). Operational and safety needs of Beltline identified in report.
- Construction, Triple left turn lane added on Verona Road westbound off-ramp.
- Planning, Alternatives analysis. Reviewed a series of alternatives for the west Beltline and Verona Rd.
- Planning, NEPA process started. Developed and evaluated alternatives for Beltline corridor, Beltline crossings, Verona Road corridor.
- Auxiliary lanes added on Beltline.
- Ramp meters.
- Planning, Draft EIS (DEIS) released for west Beltline and Verona Road corridors.
- Construction, US 12 expanded to four lanes north of highway 14.
2005 - Construction, Agricultural Drive overpass constructed.
2005-2006 - Construction, Middleton bypass constructed.
2006 - Construction, Improvements to Todd Drive portion of Beltline.
2008 - Planning, Study, Report - Beltline Safety and Operational Needs Study.
2008-2014 - Ramp improvements, auxiliary lane additions, and pavement and structure rehabilitation, various locations.
- Planning, Verona Road Supplemental Draft EIS (SDEIS) released for only Verona Road Corridor.
- Park Street interchange reconstructed.
- Planning, FEIS and ROD. Verona Road ROD obtained for single point interchange and jug-handle intersection.
- Legislative, Transportation Projects Commission authorizes study of the Beltline.
- Construction, Fish Hatchery interchange reconstructed.
- Construction, Verona Road Interchange