Business name change - notify the Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) Dealer & Agent Section at the mailing address or phone below, or by email at email@example.com if the name of your business changes. You must apply for an amended license by completing the Motor Vehicle Dealer Two Year License Application form MV2186. You will need a bond rider or new bond with the new name. If the business is leasing the business location you will need a new lease. If your dealership sells new vehicles you will need to submit a new WisDOT Manufacturer/Importer/Distributor Certification of Dealer form MV2131.
Location change - If you move your dealership, you will need to file an original dealer license application, complete with all zoning approval and other documentation. Your bond company will issue a bond rider showing your new location. See retail dealer license.
Ownership change - If your business ownership changes, you must file a complete original dealer license application.
Ownership changes include:
- Changing type of ownership. (For example, from sole proprietor to corporation)
- Adding or deleting a partner
- Adding someone who has 10% or more stock in the corporation
Adding a branch or sublot - A branch is a secondary location within the same municipality, which has the facilities to operate independently from the main location. A sublot is a secondary location in the same municipality which lacks indoor display and service facilities. Only used vehicles may be sold from a sublot. To add a branch or sublot to your current dealer license:
- Complete the Motor Vehicle Dealer Two Year License Application form MV2186, listing the branch or sublot address. Be sure to include the zoning and local permit signatures on the form.
- Send in a lease for the branch or sublot real estate unless the dealership owns the property.
- If you will be selling new vehicles from your branch location include—for each vehicle make—a manufacturer franchise listing the branch address. You may submit your franchise agreement on WisDOT's Manufacturer/Importer/Distributor Certification of Dealer form MV2131 or on a similar form provided by the manufacturer.
- Include fees payable to Registration Fee Trust. Fees are $40 for a branch or $2 for a sublot.
Adding a franchise - If you add a franchise to your current dealership, submit your new franchise agreement on WisDOT's Manufacturer/Importer/Distributor Certification of Dealer form MV2131 or on a similar form provided by the manufacturer. No fee is required. WisDOT will reissue your license certificate listing the new makes you are authorized to sell.
For more information:
If you have questions: