- IIDs are required to be installed on every vehicle owned by or registered to you, regardless of what type of vehicle (car, truck, motor home, etc.), unless the vehicle is specifically exempted by the convicting court. An IID is not required on motorcycles, mopeds or autocycles. Please contact the convicting court if you need an exemption.
- Your driving privilege for the operation of Class D vehicles (car, light weight truck, moped, etc.) is restricted to vehicles that are equipped with an ignition interlock device for the duration of the order.
- IIDs must be ordered for a minimum of one year:
- For operating privilege, the restriction begins immediately upon conviction, but the “timer” on the restriction begins when you are issued an occupational license or reinstate your operating privilege (cannot "wait out" IID restriction).
- For vehicles, courts may order the IID restriction to begin immediately.
- Failure to install, removal, disconnection, tampering or circumvention violations will result in a six-month extension of IID restriction.
- Anyone subject to an IID order may not operate a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration above 0.02 for the duration of the IID order.
If you choose to apply for an
Occupational License from the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), which allows you to drive to/from work or school, or to take care of essential household activities, then your operating privilege will be restricted to operating a vehicle equipped with an IID -- and it does not matter who owns the vehicle.
The occupational waiting period begins on the effective date of the revocation or suspension and may vary depending on previous driving history and the reason for the current revocation/suspension.
If convicted, you may choose not to drive, but you cannot simply “wait out” the clock on your IID order. You may be prosecuted for failure to comply with the IID order. When and if you choose to restore your operating privilege, the clock will start on your IID restriction on the day DMV issues you any kind of license.