DMVs are open for all driver license and ID card customers. Driver licenses can be
renewed online for most customers. All vehicle transactions must be done
online, by mail or
3rd party agents. Vehicle emission extensions have expired. As of August 1, you are required to pass an emission test before renewing your registration.
There may be occasions when road tests are scheduled during non-business hours. When this occurs, our offices will not be open to the public, and processing of any driver license or vehicle registration products cannot be done. Check the
DMV customer service centers page for a complete listing of the days and times when our offices are open to the public.
- If you are new to Wisconsin, you need to go to your nearest
DMV customer service center to start the application process before you can make an appointment. Acceptable documentation of
legal presence, name and date of birth, identity and
Wisconsin residency are required.
- You must hold a valid instruction permit.
- You may only schedule an appointment up to 11 weeks in advance. Due to uncertain staffing, we cannot schedule appointments any further in advance.
- Appointments fill up quickly. The system indicates "No appointments available" when all appointments are filled. New appointments are added periodically throughout the week.
- When you schedule an appointment through the online system, you will be prompted to enter the following items:
- Social security number
- Date of birth
- A telephone number where you can be reached between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. (This is to notify you in the event we need to change your appointment)
- You can schedule, reschedule, cancel or verify a road test appointment through this online system.
- To reschedule, access the online system at the link below to look for another appointment. Your current appointment will not be canceled until you confirm your new appointment.
- If you cannot keep your appointment, you need to cancel at least 24 hours prior to your scheduled appointment. If you do not cancel your appointment with at least 24 hours notice or you do not show up for your appointment, a “fail" will be entered on your record and you will be charged the $15 fee. You will not be eligible to retest for at least 7 days, depending on appointment availability.
- If you are under the age of 18, you must have held your Instruction Permit for at least six months, have no violations within the past six months, and have at least 30 hours of driving practice. You will also be required to have a Driver Education Course Completion. The course completion is generally submitted electronically by the school. If it was not, the school will provide you with a paper course completion that you need to present at the DMV.
- You must use a Web browser with Secure Socket Layer (SSL) capability (e.g., Netscape Navigator 2.1 or later or Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0 or later) to be able to access the system.
If you are experiencing difficulty in scheduling a road test appointment in your preferred area, please be advised that new appointment slots are added weekly. Customers are encouraged to return to the website to review what new opportunities may be available for scheduling.
Schedule, cancel, verify or reschedule motorcycle road test appointment
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.
For more information: