NOTE: The Corridor Preservation Study has concluded and stopped short of officially mapping future highway needs and designating WIS 23 as a freeway. The planning data and recommendations provided in this study can provide a good foundation when/if this stretch of WIS 23 is converted to a freeway in the future.
WIS 23, County P (west of Plymouth) to WIS 32 (Sheboygan Falls), in Sheboygan County.
- WIS 23 is a 10 mile long four-lane divided expressway with at-grade intersections and passes along the north of both Plymouth and Sheboygan Falls.
- WIS 23 is a connector route in the Connections 2030 plan. It is a major east-west highway connecting US 41 and I-43 between the Fox Cities and Milwaukee, and provides a direct route between Fond du Lac and Sheboygan.
- The study will address issues associated with WIS 23 between County P and WIS 32 and will look to develop alternatives that will be needed to convert this section of WIS 23 to a freeway to provide the type of service consistent with a Connections 2030 connector route.
- In order to obtain the freeway designation, all current access to the expressway will be modified, resulting in an interchange, overpass, or a road closure. Highway preservation is done according to State Statute 84.295.
- After evaluation of the alternatives WisDOT will map the right of way needs for the location of future overpasses and interchanges.
- No construction is planned as a part of this study. Implementation of the improvements will occur as determined by future operational needs.
The Corridor Preservation Study stopped short of officially mapping future highway needs and designating WIS 23 as a freeway. The planning data and recommendations can provide a good foundation when/if this stretch of WIS 23 is converted to a freeway.
A public hearing was conducted on Dec. 13, 2016, at Riverview Middle School, 300 Riverside Circle, Plymouth, Wis. for designation of WIS 23 as a freeway from County P west of the city of Plymouth to WIS 32 in the city of Sheboygan Falls in Sheboygan County. WisDOT will take written comments through January 10, 2017.
- Signed Planning and Preservation Study document placed on project website for review
Why is this study needed?
- WIS 23 does not yet meet WisDOT’s goals and objectives for the ultimate conversion to a freeway. WIS 23 is an important route through the region as a 2030 connector route. The at-grade intersections and numerous access points have the potential to create a collision hazard as the amount of traffic increases.
- This study provides a systematic approach to evaluating and determining the future locations of overpasses, interchanges and any needed surface roads along the WIS 23 corridor between County P and WIS 32 in Sheboygan County. This approach follows the
National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) process.
- The study will allow citizens to stay informed about future improvements along the WIS 23 corridor and allows growth in the area according to the future transportation plans.
- This study will also help lower the cost for future improvements by preventing the need for expensive acquisition of developed properties along the improvements.