Purpose and need | Contacts
I-43, Silver Spring Dr. to WIS 60, Glendale to Grafton, in Milwaukee and Ozaukee counties.
The I-43 North-South Freeway is among the busiest routes in Wisconsin and is a critical Interstate link between southeast Wisconsin and the entire state. I-43 provides access to manufacturers, merchants, commuters and tourists within southeast Wisconsin, the Milwaukee metropolitan area, and other areas including Green Bay, Sheboygan, Manitowoc and Chicago.
WisDOT has maintained and rehabilitated the ramps, bridges, pavements and other structures on I-43 for 50 years. The North-South Freeway has exceeded its design life and it is no longer economical to maintain.
This project includes the expansion of I-43 from four to six lanes, the reconstruction of five existing interchanges along the corridor, and the replacement of the Union Pacific railroad bridge over I-43 in Glendale. The project also includes the expansion of a section of Port Washington Road in Glendale from two lanes to four lanes. During construction, the project will work to keep two lanes open in each direction - similar to existing conditions.
Congestion and crashes
I-43 carries 49,000 vehicles per day south of WIS 60 and 85,460 vehicles per day north of Silver Spring Drive.
There is regular and significant congestion in the corridor today. Future projections show traffic growing to 65,000 vehicles per day south of WIS 60 and 112,500 vehicles per day just north of Silver Spring Drive by 2040.
The purpose of the project is to address:
- Emerging pavement and structural needs
- Safety issues
- Design deficiencies, including clearance at bridges, visibility, and merging and weaving distances
- Existing and projected traffic volumes
Purpose and need document
This design will evaluate:
- Replacing deteriorating pavement and bridges
- Reducing congestion and improving safety
- Providing efficient freeway operations
- Improving or replacing existing interchanges
- Proposed new interchange at Highland Road
- Minimizing impacts to natural and built environments
**New** - Noise Barrier Status Update
As of early January 2021, all four barriers had the required “yes” votes to be constructed. A simple majority of votes cast was needed and easily achieved for all four barriers.
Thank you to all who sent in their ballots or submitted comments. Your participation is important to the noise barrier process and a successful I-43 project.
View Results Mailer
- Barrier #3: 164 Yes and 4 No
- Barrier #5: 62 Yes and 9 No
- Barrier #10: 26 Yes and 0 No
- Barrier #12: 77 Yes and 1 No
Sign up for project updates
Steve Hoff, P.E. Project Manager
Dan Sellers, WisDOT SE Region Communications
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
141 NW Barstow St.
P.O. Box 798
Waukesha, WI 53187-0798
Phone: (262) 548-5902
Fax: (262) 548-5662