Project location |
Project overview |
Update: Announcement regarding cancellation of I-39/90/94 study.
Refined Corridor Alternatives Maps available:
Information from Public Involvement Meetings held November 15 and November 16, 2016 is available. View
exhibits for details.
I-39/90/94, from US 12/18 to I-39/WIS 78, from Madison to Portage, in Dane and Columbia counties.
The corridor also includes:
- WIS 30 from East Washington Avenue in Madison to I-39/90/94
- I-94 from I-39/90 to County N in Cottage Grove
- US 151 from I-39/90/94 to Main Street in Sun Prairie
- I-39/90/94, US 51, and WIS 19 triangle in DeForest
- WisDOT is conducting a study to analyze the existing and future conditions of the I-39/90/94 corridor.
- Possible improvements and their impacts will be studied over the next several years.
- This study involves the completion of a Tier 1 Environmental Impact Statement (EIS).
- A range of corridor alternatives will be evaluated during the EIS process, which will ultimately lead to the identification of a preferred corridor alternative.
- The portion of the corridor from County CS to I-39/WIS 78 will undergo more detailed analysis in the EIS. The detailed analysis will allow for final design to begin on this portion of the corridor at the completion of the Tier 1 EIS.
- This is a higher priority within the overall corridor becuase the Wisconsin River bridges are nearing the end of their economically viable life span.
For more information on Public Involvement Meetings (PIM), hearings and other public activities, visit
Current (this year)
- Stakeholder meetings
- Ongoing - Collect data and information related to the corridor alternative evaluations
- Agency Meetings
Policy Advisory Committee (PAC) meetings
- Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) meetings
- Public Involvement Meetings (PIMs) - dates to be announced
- Presentations at locally-hosted/held community meetings
- Summer 2017 - Complete corridor alternative evaluations and identify preferred corridor
- Draft Tier 1 Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS)
Future (next year and beyond)
- Policy Advisory Committee (PAC) and Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) meetings
- 2018 - Final Tier 1 EIS (FEIS)
- 2021-2022 - Complete first Tier 2 National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Document
Past (anything prior to today)
- November 15, 2016 - PIM
- November 16, 2016 - PIM
- October 2016 - Newsletter
- June 28, 2016 - Agency meeting
- April 4, 2016, October 5, 2016, and November 3, 2016 - Held joint TAC/PAC meetings
- Developed and screened corridor concepts
- Completed purpose and need
- February 15, 2016 – May 15, 2016 - MetroQuest online survey #2
- February 2016 - Newsletter
- Traffic Impact Analysis (TIA) of I-39/90/94 corridor near Madison completed
December 2014 - Newsletter
- December 18, 2014 - Held joint TAC/PAC meeting
- Created Technical Advisory Committee (TAC)
- Created Policy Advisory Committee (PAC)
- August 2014 - Study was initiated
Long term National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) study with no construction activities planned at this time.
Currently gathering data, to identify potential impacts to both man-made and natural resources and develop cost estimates, for all of the corridor alternatives.
Robert Knorr, P.E., Project Manager
Larry Barta, P.E., Deputy Project manager
Michael Bie, WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Southwest Region, Madison Office
2101 Wright Street
Madison, WI 53704
Phone: (608) 246-3800
Fax: (608) 246-3843