Project location |
Project overview |
Traffic impacts/detours |
Traffic information |
WIS 23 (Copper Springs Rd. to North Junction WIS 33), Reedsburg to Wisconsin Dells - Sauk County
Construction will take place at the same time as this project: WIS 33 (WIS 23 to US 12), Reedsburg to Baraboo
The roadway surface is aged and deteriorated with cracking. A 6.5-inch asphalt overlay was completed in 2001. Treatment is needed to extend the pavement service life. Additional improvements include:
- Repair pavement with a mill and overlay.
- Treat the pavement with a mill and overlay.
- Installment of shoulder and centerline rumble strips.
- No structure work included in project.
Future (2019 and beyond)
- 2021 - Construction anticipated
Past (prior to today)
- May 14, 2019 - Public involvement meeting (PIM)
- WIS 23 construction will be completed with one lane flagging conditions during non-peak hours.
- The WIS 33 portion will be closed to traffic and detoured on WIS 23
The official traffic counts and projections provide the following information:
- The most recent traffic forecast report was completed in May of 2018.
- This forecast utilized traffic counts that were collected in 2017.
- The 2017 traffic counts yielded the following average daily traffic volumes along WIS 23 and 33:
- WIS 23/33 west of WIS 136 = 12,100 vehicles per day (note that this is west of our project’s limits)
- WIS 23/33 between WIS 136 and the WIS 23 intersection = 9,700 vehicles per day
- WIS 33 between the WIS 23 intersection and US 12 = 9,300 vehicles per day
- Along each segment, traffic is comprised of 8.6% to 8.7% trucks by volume.
- Future traffic growth projections were based on factors ranging between 0.50% and 0.64%.
WisDOT has a website specifically dedicated to publishing traffic count information. The website contains a link to an interactive map where the count nodes can be clicked on for more information. Here’s a link to the website for your future consideration:
Brad Schultz, P.E., Project Manager
Michael Bie, WisDOT Southwest Region Communications Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT)
Southwest Region, La Crosse Office
3550 Mormon Coulee Road
La Crosse, WI 54601
Phone: (608) 785-9022
Fax: (608) 785-9969