The ferry is open 24/7 for the remainder of the 2020 season. For safety, please practice social distancing.
Ridership guidelines remain in place as precautionary measures for the safety of ferry staff and passengers:
- Ferry passengers must remain in vehicles.
- Motorcyclists must stay in their respective boarding lane and stay single file during the crossing.
- Pedestrians and bicyclists are allowed on the ferry.
- Anyone boarding the ferry on foot is asked to maintain a distance for at least six feet from other ferry users throughout the trip. Use of face coverings is advised, and appreciated.
- Any sanitization of the railings as passengers continue to load and unload will be up to individual riders, and we encourage passengers to bring hand sanitizer.
- Ferry wayside facilities remain closed.
NOTE: The ferry will close daily for 30 minutes at 7:30 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. for operator shift change.
Merrimac Ferry crosses the Wisconsin River between Sauk and Columbia counties. The ferry generally operates April to November. The Merrimac Ferry, Wisconsin's only FREE ferry, takes about seven mintues for a single crossing.
Note: Hazardous materials, including but not limited to, agricultural nitrogen, propane in excess of 100 pounds, and fuel in excess of 100 gallons, are NOT allowed on the vessel.
Emergency and/or planned maintenance closures of the ferry will be posted on the
511 Wisconsin Travel Information website. Learn
how to receive closure alerts directly to your email.