Current message boards/webcams (updates every three minutes)
The Merrimac Ferry is open for the 2023 season.
Ridership guidelines are in place as precautionary measures for the safety of ferry staff and passengers:
- Ferry passengers are encouraged to remain in vehicles.
- Motorcyclists should stay in their respective boarding lane and stay single file during the crossing.
- Pedestrians and bicyclists are allowed on the ferry.
- Passengers are asked to maintain distance of at least six feet from other ferry users throughout the trip. Use of face coverings is advised, and appreciated.
- Any sanitization of the railings as passengers continue to load and unload will be up to individual riders, and we encourage passengers to bring hand sanitizer.
- The restroom building at the Merrimac Ferry landings are open.
Note: The ferry closes from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. on Wednesdays for refueling.
Merrimac Ferry crosses the Wisconsin River between Sauk and Columbia counties. The ferry generally operates April to November. The Merrimac Ferry, Wisconsin's only FREE ferry, takes about seven minutes for a single crossing.
Note: Hazardous materials, including but not limited to, agricultural nitrogen, propane in excess of 100 pounds, and fuel in excess of 100 gallons, are NOT allowed on the vessel.
Emergency and/or planned maintenance closures of the ferry will be posted on the
511 Wisconsin Travel Information website. Learn how to receive closure alerts directly to your email.