Commercial Driver License (CDL) information

This is an index page for Commercial Driver License applicants, license holders and employers​ to help you find useful information on the DMV website. Topics are arranged below by subject to help you quickly access the information you need.

How to get a customized list of the​ requirements you will need to get any class and/or endorsement

The interactive driver licensing guide is a helpful tool for those looking for information on commercial driving requirements. The guide will provide you with a checklist of requirements, and allow you to pre-fill any required application(s) before visiting a DMV Customer Service Center. Depending on your eligibility, you may also be able to use the guide to electronically submit your application(s) and schedule an appointment with the DMV for expedited service.

How to apply for a CDL class or endor​sement

If you want to get a CDL class (A, B or C) or a CDL endorsement (F, H, N, P, S and T) for the first time, see these two web​pages:

Basic CDL requirements and CDL classes:


  • Commercial endorsements​ - defines all CDL endorsements: F (farm service), H (hazardous materials), N (tank vehicle), P (passenger bus), S (school bus) and T (double/triple trailers)
  • Hazardous materials endorsement​​ - general info about the Hazmat endorsement (also called HME or H endorsement). Includes requirements specific to getting and maintaining an H endorsement and specific Hazm​at fingerprinting info. 
  • School bus endorsement​ - all information regarding the school bus (S) endorsement
  • Farm Service (F) endorsement - Wisconsin Farm Service CDL/BDS201

Tier of operation and CDL medical requirements

  • How to apply for a CDL - this webpage has a section on tier of operation and medical requirements, including a link to help you find a Fed Med examiner in your area

Wisconsin CDL manuals

Employer information

​Online services for commercial drivers

​​​Driver Eligibility Unit
Email Wisconsin DMV email service​​​