Drivers adding the Hazardous Materials Endorsement (H) to their CDL for the first time are required to successfully complete
Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) prior to being eligible for knowledge testing.
CDL drivers must complete the following steps to receive a HazMat endorsement indicating they understand the requirements to safely transport hazardous materials:
At a DMV Customer Service Center
1. Complete an application
- Wisconsin Driver License (DL) application MV3001
- Driver License Hazardous Materials Endorsement Application form MV3735
2. Provide proof of citizenship or immigration status
Bring one of the following with you to a DMV Customer Service Center.
If you are a U. S. citizen:
- U.S. Passport
- Certificate of birth that bears an official seal and was issued by a state, county, municipal authority, or outlying possession of the United States
- Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (form FS-545 or DS1350)
- Certificate of Naturalization (form N-550 or N570)
- Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (form N560 or N561)
If you are a Lawful permanent resident:
- Permanent Resident Card, Alien Registration Receipt Card (form I-551)
- Temporary I-551 stamp in foreign passport
- Temporary I-551 stamp on form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, with photograph of the bearer
- Reentry Permit (form I-327)
3. Pass the "H" knowledge test
- Study the Hazardous Materials portion of the Wisconsin Commercial Driver's Manual
- Knowledge tests are conducted on a walk-in basis at Wisconsin DMVs. No appointment is necessary.
4. Pay the fee(s)
- Pay the appropriate driver licensing fees
- Payment options
- Cash, check/money order, credit/debit (convenience fee applies)
At a Fieldprint location
5. Complete fingerprinting for a background check
Within 7 days of passing the “H” knowledge test, a driver must be fingerprinted at a Wisconsin-based Fieldprint location.
- HazMat fingerprint appointment information:
- Go to
Fieldprint's Wisconsin website to create an account
- After you create an account, you will be asked to enter a code. Use FPWIDMVHazmat, the code for Hazmat fingerprinting in Wisconsin. This code tells Fieldprint what type of fingerprinting is needed.
- Select appointment time and location.
- A fee is associated with the fingerprinting. Visit the
Fieldprint website for more information.
- Fieldprint will confirm your appointment time.
- Fieldprint is only a collection point and will not review background or customer information. All collected personal data is protected and secure.