"H" endorsement requirements

HazMat fingerprint appointment information

The U.S. Patriot Act includes changes to the federal requirements for a hazardous materials "H" endorsement.

The Patriot Act requires a background check, including fingerprinting, for all drivers renewing or transferring the "H" endorsement and for drivers who are applying for the "H" endorsement for the first time. Drivers are also required to complete a Drivers License Hazardous Materials Endorsement Application form MV3735​. Successful completion of the "H" knowledge test is also required.

Persons who applied for an "H" endorsement before January 31, 2005, will not be required to complete an application, nor submit to fingerprinting until a later date. They will be notified within the next four years that they must comply with the fingerprinting​ and background check requirements.

Beginning February 7, 2022, drivers adding the Hazardous Materials Endorsement (H) to their CDL for the first time are required to successfully complete Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT)​ prior to being eligible for knowledge testing.

Information on scheduling a fingerprint appointment​.

If you currently hold an "H" endorsement that is going to expire, you will receive a Hazardous Materials "H" Endorsement Application with your renewal notice. If you do not receive your renewal notice and application, contact the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV).​

Information provided by the Wisconsin Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

In 2003 DMV mailed a notice outlining the new federal requirements to all current Wisconsin "H" endorsement holders ​and employers​.

Basic information

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Hazmat Threat Assessment Program​​ summarizes the new federal requirements for hazmat drivers, including fingerprinting, background checks, other important information, appeals and waivers. Wisconsin's Hazardous materials page gives detailed licensing requirements for getting an "H" endorsement.

Citizenship and immigration status

There are new requirements to prove citizenship or legal immigration status to obtain, renew, transfer or upgrade a commercial driver license (CDL) with a hazmat endorsement.

Proof of status - U. S. citizen

  • U.S. Passport
  • Certificate of birth that bears an official seal and was issued by a state, county, municipal authority, or outlying possession of the United States
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (form FS-545 or DS1350)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (form N-550 or N570)
  • Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (form N560 or N561)

Proof of status - Lawful permanent resident

  • Permanent Resident Card, Alien Registration Receipt Card (form I-551)
  • Temporary I-551 stamp in foreign passport
  • Temporary I-551 stamp on form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, with photograph of the bearer
  • Reentry Permit (form I-327)

Disqualifying crimes and mental defects

The list of disqualifying​​​ crimes​ was designed to identify those most likely to endanger the nation's transportation network. The list is comparable to background reviews applied to millions of airport and airline employees.

The federal threat assessment includes mental defects such as formal commitment to a mental institution, or a condition or disease that causes the person to be a danger to the individual or others.


Current "H" endorsement holders and all new applicants for an "H" endorsement are required to submit fingerprints with their threat assessment "H" application. The application process and all required testing begins at the DMV. Upon application ​the DMV will issue further instruction regarding scheduling your appointment to be fingerprinted. Information on scheduling a fingerprint appointment​.

For more information

Federal links

​​​Driver Eligibility Unit
Email Wisconsin DMV email service​​​