New: Drivers under the age of 18 who have completed driver education, behind the wheel training, and 30 hours of supervised driving may qualify for a road test waiver.
See if you qualify -
Steps to get your Wisconsin driver license
2. Pass the
vision, and driving skills tests
New Wisconsin residents with an out-of-state driver license (which is valid or expired less than 8 years) may be able to get a Wisconsin license without taking the knowledge or driving skills tests.
- CDL license holders with a hazardous materials (H) endorsement must pass the hazardous materials knowledge test and may require
- CDL license holders with a school bus (S) endorsement must pass the school bus knowledge test, the pre-trip and a driving skills test.
- Applicants with an OWI-type conviction in another state will need to provide proof that you have undergone an assessment and completed an alcohol program. This law applies even if you have met all the requirements in the state where you were convicted of OWI.
Online: use the
interactive Driver License Guide for a checklist of requirements, pre-fill any required application(s), submit them electronically (if eligible) and schedule an appointment.
Wisconsin Driver License application MV3001 including:
- Your Social Security number (SSN) - if you have one.
- If you are under age 18, complete the section of the application for applicants under age 18 (applicant, school and
- Answer the medical questions. For some medical conditions, you will be asked to have your doctor provide medical information.
- If you are applying for a commercial driver license, complete the section of the application for commercial driver applicants.
- Note: Carefully read the instructions at the top of the application. Some sections may not be necessary.
- Visit a DMV and bring
acceptable identification documents including:
5. Receive your card by mail. Driver licenses and IDs are mailed to your home. See
Mailing Wisconsin driver licenses and ID cards ("central issuance") for more information.
For more information