These annual awards celebrate the project staff and contractors who successfully deliver high quality projects.
The call for nominations typically occurs in October, with judging in December, and awards given out in January of the following year.
One award is given out in each of the following categories
- Asphalt paving for projects costing under $25M
- Concrete paving for projects costing under $25M
- Grading for projects costing under $25M
- Small structure with a structure cost equal to or less than $2M, with a total project cost under $25M
- Large structure with a structure cost greater than $2M, with a total project cost under $25M
- Large contract, with a total project cost equal to or greater than $25M
- In the fall of each year, WisDOT Regional offices are encouraged to submit nominations for the Excellence in Construction Awards.
- Each regional office can submit one project per category.
- Region staff meet to determine which projects from their region will advance to these statewide awards.
- The awards are presented annually at the Wisconsin Transportation Builder’s Association (WTBA) annual conference in January.
- Quality control
- Project management and relationships
- Traffic control
- Overall appearance
- Nominations are judged by a panel of WisDOT employees along with a representative from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).
- Panel members are chosen specifically to represent WisDOT’s technical specialty groups (ex. Pavements and Structures), as well as regional office representatives from around the state.
- Judges are selected at the start of the nomination process each year.