When you become a Wisconsin resident, you must apply for a
Wisconsin title and license plates for your vehicle.
Out-of-state titles can be used to apply online for Wisconsin title and plates.
You can easily apply online for either standard license plates or special plates (if eligible) for these vehicles (the types marked with * will be able to print a Temporary Plate if eligible):
- Automobiles and Sport Utility Vehicles (SUVs)*
- Light trucks (<8,000 lbs.*, or farm trucks at 12,000 lbs.)
- Motorcycles (special plates not available online)
- Moped (special plates not available online)
- Recreational Vehicle Trailers (campers and mobile homes under 40 feet) (special plates not available online)
special plates are available for automobiles, SUVs, autocycles and light trucks. The online process (eMV Public) is not available for personalized plates or plates that require approval or eligibility verification (e.g. Military, Firefighter, Operating Engineer, Collector/Hobbyist). Please mail the appropriate special plate application and fees. See Special plates for specific plate requirements and applications.
How to apply:
1. Review the
2. Have these ready:
- A Wisconsin Driver License or Identification card, last four digits of your Social Security number and date of birth. Here’s how to obtain a driver license with a valid
- The vehicle title
- A printer with 8.5 by 11-inch paper to print off the required documents.
- Payment Information
- Your credit or debit card will be charged a
convenience fee for this service.
- Checking/savings account using ACH (Automated Clearing House) and avoid the
3. Complete the online process.
By selecting the "START NOW" button below, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to the following:
I agree that by completing this online application:
I am obligated to mail the required documents to the department for completion of my vehicle transaction.
The fees required for this transaction cannot be refunded.
Junk vehicles are not eligible for WI title or registration.
Salvage vehicles are eligible for title only.
4. Remember to mail the following items after you pay and complete your online transaction:
- Title and License Plate eApplication/Receipt
- A valid, original lien release if the vehicle currently has a lien
P.O. Box 7907
Madison, WI 53707-7907
Click “Start Now” below to apply online.
This service may not be available on Sundays from 6 a.m.–9 a.m. due to regular system maintenance.
VIN error note: If you receive an error while entering the VIN, we are unable to recognize the vehicle. Please mail in your application.